Question

Student
jshg123
Message 1 of 22 (5,357 Views)

Officejet J5780 Broken Hinge

The back left hinge on my Officejet J5780 broke when I was opening it up to change the ink cartridge.  Now it won't register as closed unless I push down on the top of the printer.  Is there some way to repair this hinge by ordering replacement parts?
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 22 (5,349 Views)

Re: Officejet J5780 Broken Hinge

jshg123 wrote:
The back left hinge on my Officejet J5780 broke when I was opening it up to change the ink cartridge.  Now it won't register as closed unless I push down on the top of the printer.  Is there some way to repair this hinge by ordering replacement parts?

There are not any listings for the hinge parts for the Officejet J5780 at HP's Partsurfer site. One thing you might try is finding the small plastic part that presses into the lower case part that signals the lid is closed.  Typically you can fold a small peice of card stock in half and slide it into the sensor to make the printer think the lid is closed.  When you actaully do need to raise the cover to change a cartridge you can pull the card out.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
lbs45
Message 3 of 22 (4,321 Views)

HERE IS AN ANSWER AND COMMENT FROM FIXYA regarding a 6210, but likely apples to many HP printers:  I kept my unit working by just removing the broken top half of the hinge.  You have to remove 5 screws using a TORX T10 screwdriver.  First remove the small plate covering the back of hinge on the outside.  Then remove the two vertical screws at the top of the hinge up under the hinge lip.  Then open the cover (be careful to hold it in place so as not to damage the three flex connections between the lid and body) and remove the other two screws at the top of the hinge.  Remove the broken top half of the hinge and lower the cover back down.  Until you find a replacement hinge, you can put a piece of heavy duty tape on the back where the hinge was.

• This advice was quite helpful. A double layer of duct tape over the two hinge sites seems to be a satisfactory solution. (I just did it. We'll see.) After all, the top cover is lifted only when changing the cartridges. With the broken top half of each hinge removed, the top sits nicely on the scanning glass. I just found that the hinges were available from the HP parts store online, partshere, for a MERE $50.35 each!!!

Tutor
gogirl_1
Message 4 of 22 (3,660 Views)

Thanks so much. Beats throwing the thing away.
Honor Student
lbs45
Message 5 of 22 (3,642 Views)

My duct tape fix is still working 8 months later.

Top Student
spidey888
Message 6 of 22 (3,539 Views)

Since I do not have a Torx 10 screwdriver, I found it easier to prise the BOTTOM part of the hinge out rather than remove the top part as described by others. Just use any small screwdriver (test pen is fine) to gently prise (gently jiggle it) the bottom hinge out of its seat. It came off rather easily for me. No need for duct tape and no need to pay USD50.35 for a replacement part...that's a disproportionate price compared to a new printer price! 

Hope this helps someone.

Student
Message 7 of 22 (3,497 Views)

Broken hinge on the the left side of the Officejet J5780.  Can this be replaced?

Tutor
gogirl_1
Message 8 of 22 (3,487 Views)

Thank you for finding the hinge solution. So after you pry out the hinge, how do you fix it if there is no need for duct tape?

Top Student
spidey888
Message 9 of 22 (3,482 Views)

After prying the BOTTOM part out the whole cover can now be closed down cleanly and the printer should work fine. No need for any duct tape. It works fine for Me...hope it will be for you too. 

Just try it.

Top Student
spidey888
Message 10 of 22 (3,481 Views)

If you mean "left" when you view the printer from the front then yes that's was also my same hinge problem. But it should also work for the other side (I think).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation