Question

Top Student
HarrietE
Message 1 of 18 (5,494 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet Pro 8500 A909a Print Cartridge jam

I have removed the duplexer and the 2nd optional tray.  I cannot find any sign of a paper jam.  The print cartridge is stuck on the far right side and I cannot reach into that spot.  There is what appears to be a hatch directly above where it is stuck, but I cannot get the hatch open - I'm afraid I'll break it.  The printer is just barely a year old - any ideas?

PhD Student
CaptainTJ
Message 2 of 18 (5,492 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 A909a Print Cartridge jam

HI,

It looks like you've tried a few of the steps listed in this document:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01618201&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3752459

you've indicated the carriage doesn't move from the far right.  Have you unplugged the power to see if that helps?

One of the steps in the document is resetting the product, you might try that step.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you. Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
HarrietE
Message 3 of 18 (5,482 Views)

Yes, I had done all of that.  I was finally able to reach in and find a part to grab hold of the cartridge and pull it over.  Still cannot get the cover off - looks like it's supposed to just slide, but it just wouldn't.  Anyway, once I moved the cartridge manually, I reseated the cartridges.  Seems to be ok now.  Thanks.

Top Student
Foxy1
Message 4 of 18 (5,398 Views)

How did you move the cartridge?  Did you turn the power off or reach in and do it with the power on?   You also said you "reseated" the cartridge.  Not sure what you mean.  I am having the same problem.

Please help!

Tutor
cnymike
Message 5 of 18 (5,208 Views)

The documentation is lame. You need to gently depress the top of plastic "door". You'll see several horizontal indentations in the plastic. That's where you want to gently push down. While pushing, slide the door towards the front of the printer... it will slide out.

I hate this printer. Piece of junk that causes me more headaches. Now I'm getting the Paper Jam message along with improper shutdown message everytime I USE THE OFF BUTTON. Turn it back on and it reports that the printer was improperly shut down and that there is a paper jam. Followed all the steps, clean the rollers, checked everything. There is no paper jam.

Printer will be going into the garbage can at the end of business day.

Student
paperjamagain
Message 6 of 18 (5,173 Views)

five days out of warranty; just one year of actual service and now i am getting the fatal

" paper jam error" message

as far as i can see; there is no paper jam

i have also noticed this error being reported by others within 10days after the warranty expires.

Hewlett-Packard's Mission Statement: 

Customer loyalty

To provide products, services and solutions of the highest quality and deliver more value to our customers that earns their respect and loyalty. 
Underlying beliefs supporting this objective: 
Our continued success is dependent on increasing the loyalty of our customers. 
Listening attentively to customers to truly understands their needs, then delivering solutions that translate into customer success is essential to earn customer loyalty. 
Competitive total cost of ownership, quality, inventiveness, and the way we do business drives customer loyalty. 

Perhaps someone from the corporate office will revisit  their mission statement: "to provide products , services and solutions of the highest quality"

yes, I understand we now live in a disposable world; but this is ridiculous!

Hello HP; please read the review on this printer!

5 days out of warranty and now DEAD

Tutor
cnymike
Message 7 of 18 (5,165 Views)

You hit the nail right on the head. There is no quality to this product and there will be no customer loyalty either.

Top Student
Duker61
Message 8 of 18 (4,905 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same here. 5 days out of warranty and a paper jam error.  

Loved the printer.

Hating the HP attitude.

The best they could do for me was offer me an "upgrade" at a "discount" price.

Sad. HP used to be great.

Intern
Victorianhw
Message 9 of 18 (3,173 Views)
Honor Student
Xzoof
Message 10 of 18 (3,071 Views)

I have this same problem.  Really makes me mad...of course it's out of warranty.  I used to love HP printers.  I had a 7110 for 9 years that a lightning storm took out.  I bought the Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless as a replacement only 2 years ago and it keeps giving me that Cartridge jam error.  I can move the cartridge back and forth, but the printer still gives me an error.  And of course it won't print!

I am extremely disappointed in HP.  I have used HP products for years.  I still have a deskjet 960C that works, but it only is a printer (I cannot fax and scan) and it has the old printer port, which no computers have anymore.

I think that HP should own up to their shortfall on this 8500.  And, it doesn't stop there.  I bought my mom a 6500 last XMAS and that one doesn't work properly either.  It always says it's out of paper when it's not and takes forever to print.  My 8500 does the same thing with the paper error quite often as well.

I think with all the posts online about the 8500 cartridge jam, they should go ahead and do a recall of this product.  I put a lot of faith in HP over the years for printers, but I'm going to buy something else next if they don't support this!

I also will start posting my issues with HP online on any blogs I can find!  Another BAD thing is that you cannot even email them with your dissatisfaction.  All you can do is buy more support by calling a product support number.  WHAT KIND OF A COMPANY DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS???  Especially a company like HP!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation