Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I will try taping over it.  By the looks of the posts coming in over many weeks now, it seems to work. Although some 'official' HP employee keeps posting that it wll ruin the color priont heads, I am not seeing too many (if any) postings from customers saying 'don't do that--it will ruin your print heads and you'll have to buy new ones'.  I will try it ( and/or dump this thing as soon as I can).

HP Recommended

Without Color Cartridges, I don't think you can.

Here's how you can bypass it, but you need the color cartridges installed though (even if empty).

have your computer ready and set to print in Black. Then open the cartridge compartment. Pull the empty cartridges out and back in immediatly. Close the compartment.

NOW, before the printer brings up the message of "empty cartridge" (takes a little less than a minute), click PRINT on your computer (starts printing) and this will bypass it for good until the printer is turned off and back on.

I don't know why this "so called" experts won't help. They should just not even get in this blogs if they're not gonna help. I know it's not recommended, but there's no way to buy a new cartridge at 11pm when you have a paper to turn in next morning.

HP Recommended

Best way to Print in Black ONLY - go into File-  Print - Printer Properties - under colour options select Print in Grayscale - then select BLACK INK ONLY.  apply and print.

you'll ONLY use the black in cartridge then 🙂

HP Recommended

@Storm_cpt wrote:

Best way to Print in Black ONLY - go into File-  Print - Printer Properties - under colour options select Print in Grayscale - then select BLACK INK ONLY.  apply and print.

you'll ONLY use the black in cartridge then 🙂

This is not quite true - there will be some color ink used for servicing to keep the printhead from clogging.  The Officejet 8500 requires all ink colors to be available for priting, even when printing in Black Only.  The page here documents how ink is used.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Its funny how Bob says there is no more he can add to this discussion, yet continues to add irrelevant information.

Glad to see everyone finding success. I still have yet to have a print head dry up or become damaged due to my tape jobs, and I've already saved enough money by taping to buy a dozen print heads. HP is such a fail, and it's probably a good thing Bob doesn't work for them due to the instability.
HP Recommended
Magebomba-- Exactly,..couldn't agree more!
HP Recommended

No Bob is right: printing in greyscale use the color cartridges...Storm_cpt post is not relevant at all and incorrect.

Same thing here... no problem so far.  Even if a problem occurs, I have already save more money than the cost of buying two other OfficePro 8500 printer (with brand new ink and print head)...so who even care about potential problems?  The whorst case senarios is to change my printer for a non HP printer for free with my ink cost saving.

...When a problem comes along You must TAPE it...Now TAPE it ,Into shape, Shape it up ,Get straight, Go forward, Move ahead, Try to detect it ,It's not too late To TAPE it, TAPE it good..

HP Recommended
Is disciples: Love that little take-off from the Devo song at the end of your post! Helpful AND funny, too!! Love it.
HP Recommended

Lsdisciples, I wasn't arguing that it uses color ink regardless, but rather just ranting again, lol. I agree it does use color ink no matter what, and is why color runs empty on thise who havent even printed a single color page By irrelevant I was referring to Bobs posts, in that they provided no help to the OP who asked if there was a way to bypass. Sorry I should have been a bit more specific, I was just surprised that ol Bob posted again lol.
I agree with you, storms suggestion was useless to everyone, and also irrelevant because that does not help anyone whose machine is down due to one color ink being empty.

Love the whip it reference too! Lmao!!
This has been a fun thread to follow and be part of!

HP Recommended

Magebomba, yep,.. that 'Whip It' reference is pretty funny. And yes the thread has been funny a times, but overall frustrating in terms of this root problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.