Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I turn on my Officejet 8500, after the initial startup phase, the display shows an error screen:

The following printhead has a problem:

black/yellow[K/Y], magenta/cyan[M/C]

HP's support page for this problem is worthless because it does NOT list information for the right product. I've tried cleaning the electrical contacts for the cartridges but I'm pretty sure that those are not the printhead(s). Frustrating. Smiley Sad

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem. It took me more than 2 months to get a replacement B/Y under warrenty. It then lasted for about 3 weeks and then the same problem appeared.

After speaking to seven people (seven seperate calls) in an overseas so called 'technical supprt centre' (god knows where), I was ready to fly over from Australia and throttle them. Same excuses, same apologies, same lack of service ... over and over again.

I ended up sending an email to someone in HP Public Relations (Head Office SE Asia) and out of the blue I received a replacement under warrenty in about 3 days after my email. I never did get a response from the person but it obviously managed to get someone off their butt to send it out.

So then, about three weeks later, the problem with the B/Y printhead reappeared. I have been so frustated that I have just left the printer idle for the past month. I can't possibly go through the experience of trying to get results and a degree of service from the HP support crew. Should advertise on the products: 'Cheap Printers, Expensive Cartridges and Crap After Sales Service'.

Had I realised that HP have absolutely no 'on-the-ground' support (none at all)  in Australia when I purchased this printer, I would never have purchased it. Some years ago HP used to be the leading edge of technology and service. Not anymore. They have taken the same approach as many of the big corporates ... cost cutting and taking call support centre overseas. This so so frustrating and one day they might just realise (if/when they listen to feedback from their Australian customers) how annoyed and dissapointed we are with their grade of service.

The issues with HP Service are ingrained and systemic. It really is sad that consumers have to put up with this poor service.

Although I cannot bear the thought of it, I will be back on the phone to them again tomorrow. I wonder which colourful name I will get to liaiase with this time. I have spoken to five highly qualified 'prompt readers' so far and two of them twice. Wish me luck ... lots and lots of it.

Oh, one more thing. I can't stand it when the consultant say "can I be of any further assistance to you today" when they haven't got anywhere close to resolving the initial reported problem.

HP Recommended

Officejet Pro 8500 wireless: Printhead has a problem black/yellow.

HP Recommended

I am not sure if you guys have tried the linked document below but if you have not please try it. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01817398

@consjohn: You mentioned that you have already tried this document and it did not list the correct product. Do you have the 8500 or the 8500A?

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
HP Recommended

So far have not been able to restart machine.  It seems to be in a printhead cleaning loop then the above message. The online cleaning suggestion is not applicable to above machine, it uses different slim cartridges that are inserted from the front, not the type that install from the top.  Can not see much to clean or dissassemble, is this a problem with a simple solution?  Appreciate any appropriate repy. 

HP Recommended

Has any body figured out weather or not the "end of warranty" date on the printheads has anything to do with printer alignment failure and poor print quality? On August 6, 2012 I was having problems with the black not printing. I ordered a new printhead and now the black works but the colored areas are looking funny and my printer won't align properly. I did a self test diagnostic page and under the "August Status" column found out the magenta/ cyan end of warranty date is August  5, 2012. I'm wondering if HP software recognizes the end of warranty date and shuts the printhead down or at least causes enough headache as to make you purchase a new printhead even if you may not have needed one.

I guess I will purchase the colored printhead and hope for the best.

HP Recommended

I replaced 2 of the cartridges needed, and I used the genuine HP cartridges, but I am still getting the same error on the HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier, the error as listed on my subjects title of my post, (the product number on the back is listed as CB025A). I have had the printer for 2 years and have not had any problem with printing, copying, faxing, or anything problem at all before just now. I need help in solving my problem. Thank you. Paul J.

HP Recommended

Update:

I replaced the yellow/magenta printhead cartridge and my printer now works as new. When I turn it on it is ready for printing within 60 seconds. The bad thing is I had to spend $75.00 to get it working again. I am thinking I might unplug the telephone cord for receiving faxes and see if that might keep the HP software from knowing when the cartridges are about to expire. My new "eBay" cartridge will expire on January of 2013. I am hoping the software at least lets a person use the cartridges for a year (that is if it is actually the software that is causing the printhead problems).

HP Recommended

I have just joined all of you in the frustration of owning this printer. Acctually I have a big HP printer as well, the 60" wide format printer that just sits in my wearhouse collecting dust. 5 HP Techs or so they are called, could not figure out why it will not work. $22,000 down the drain... So any way. Try this trick and see if it works for you. Remove the printhead in question and look on the back where the copper connectors are. Take a nail file or something small and pointed and scratch the hazey coating off the connectors. This build up of whatever it is will keep the contacts from contacting. It worked wonders for me. I was ready to buy a new printhead and tried this and BINGO it worked. BTW I tried all of thet other stuff first...cleaning with a swab and carefully dabbing the print nozzels on a moist paper towel, plugging and unplugging the power. Thus the frustration right. So cut to the chase and try this. If it does not work throw out the printer and buy an epson or anything but another HP.

HP Recommended

I bought this HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless a few years back. It worked well for a while. Two months back it started to not print cyan and magenta, even though the cartridges were full (at least 50%). I replaced them anyway. No improvement. Then I read that I should change the printheads. So I did. $120 later. The printed worked like new for a month. Then last week it started to choke on printing pdfs. It would print half the page, then just stop, then a few minutes later it would finish by releasing the half printed page. Word docs of text only printed fine. Now I am getting the error "The Following printhead has a problem black/yellow[K/Y], magenta/cyan[M/C]."

I am unable to print, scan, fax or copy. This error won't allow me to use the machine at all. Yes, I have restarted it. I have unplugged it. I have pulled the printheads and reinserted them. One forum post even recommended cleaning the connectors, or scuffing them to try to allow for a connection. Nothing works.

I have owned HP Printers since 1993. The best HP I ever bought was the one I bought in 1993. Each time I buy a new one it lasts less time than the previous one. Now this. I guess I have finally learned my lesson. Time to find a new brand to be loyal to. Bummer.

I feel like taking this printer out to a field an going "Office Space" on it. How am I going to print my TPS reports?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.