Question

Honor Student
judjones4
Message 1 of 59 (14,363 Views)

Officejet Pro 8500 ink cartridge error

I have been through 9 black 940xl ink cartridges and have only printed 2057 pages. The printer never gives me a low ink message and I have even reinserted cartridges that the printer once thought was empty and now it says they are full but still only last a short while. I have called customer support because I thought it was due to faulty cartridges and they even sent me a replacement but that on did not last any longer that the rest. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Honor Student
judjones4
Message 2 of 59 (14,357 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 ink cartridge error

I just installed a brand new cartridege and the printer to insert a new one.

Honor Student
mdv3441
Message 3 of 59 (14,277 Views)

I too have an 8500, ran out of ink using standard 940, replaced with a new 940 XL printer sees it and is too says replace, empty.  Did you get any resolution, that was the first cartridge so printer is almost new.

Mike

Tutor
seanrobrien
Message 4 of 59 (14,186 Views)

Bump

Student
pdbrsf
Message 5 of 59 (13,987 Views)

I'm having the same problem and the printer is just months old.  I replaced the cartridge today, it's brand new, and it keeps saying "replace the cartridge"--after thinking about further, the prior cartridge wasn't nearly out yet, so it's a printer malfunction.  I'm calling HP on Friday 8/13 and I'll post what I learn.  I spent a lot of money on this printer to get better quality than the crap of a $100.00 printer and now I'm forced to use my old reliable HP 7210 to back up this new printer which won't print because of the ink cartridge error.  HP printer quality has really gone downhill; it's not the same quality it used to be five  years ago.

Student
erkukach
Message 6 of 59 (13,960 Views)

I hear what you're saying but can't offer any help. My situation is that the 8500 printer is about two months old and it is using up color ink with out me printing a things out The the Printer Status report told me a month or so ago that I had used 33 pages. Just yesterday, after sensing something was wrong because the indicator in the panel was registering 0, I did another Printer Status and learned that I had printed out 623 pages. Oh ya! That's a mystery to me. I bought the damned things so I could print out photos. Until I can get this worked out I'll go back to my old printer that is 15 years old, HP K60 and be satisfied with black and white. We certainly don't produce the same quality we did back then. Guess why?

Honor Student
mkhizess
Message 7 of 59 (13,950 Views)

i am having the same problem. This printer is useless I have change it Three times all are having the same problem. Just go back where you bought look for your money back or another model
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 8 of 59 (13,863 Views)

Hi all

The following document may be of help.

Kind Regards

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
casiejb
Message 9 of 59 (13,533 Views)

I have read the article you reference and followed the directions and downloaded the update and it still did not work.  I also followed another article where it mentioned downloading software to the printer and "flashing" the machine.  That also did not work.  This machine is only 6 months old and we spent too much money for this to happen.

Student
David48
Message 10 of 59 (13,361 Views)

Since the printer continues to message it is out of ink, I can not update the firmware.  This printer has not been a good investment and when I called to customer service they said that I was 4 days out of warranty.  I made an executive complaint and the person that was on the line was rude and said too bad.  HP is getting closer to AT&T when it comes to customer service.  Laugh now, the folks at AT&T did for years and look at them now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation