Question
Officejet Pro 8500 ink cartridge error
Replies (58)

Student
NickCase
Message 21 of 59 (4,381 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 ink cartridge error

I have now come to the end of the road with my 8500 wireless printer.

Like so many other people here I got the error message that the magenta ink cartridge needed to be replaced even though a new cartridge had been put in. I started calling HP technical services in November 2010 and have just ended what must be my 5-6th call to technical services, some have been over an hour.

They have talked me through firmware reinstalls, resetting the print heads, replacing the cartridge with new (3 times) and replacing the print heads. Nothing has made the slightest difference. They simply do not know what to do to fix the problem. They say because my printer is out of warranty by 2 months that there is nothing they can do and I need a NEW PRINTER. 

HP have no response as to whether it is acceptable that a new printer needs to be bought every 14 months because they don't know how to repair a problem. By every legal definition, this product is not of merchantable quality and it is for that reason that I believe it is now out of production, while contemporary machines which were options at the time of the 8500's purchase are still available.

So I am left with a stack of ink cartridges, bought to pre-empt ink running out that is of no use to me and a phone bill that would have gone a long way to buying a replacement printer. Rest assured my next printer will not be an HP product and I will do all I can to retell this story to other businesses that I know to ensure they do not make the same mistake that I did.

To everyone else out there, do not buy HP products, unless you are happy to scrap youe equipment every year and buy new with new stationary stocks to service the next printer available.

Student
cbmaydo
Message 22 of 59 (4,226 Views)

my k cartidge is new and full but the print is fuzzy and I get notice that black cartridge is empty

Student
AlaskaBob
Message 23 of 59 (4,097 Views)

I just replaced my black ink cartridge and it won't print. Says I need to replace the cartridge.

What do I need to do to get it to print? I've tried taking it out and shaking it and then putting it back in. Same result.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 24 of 59 (4,089 Views)

Hi AlaskaBob

Try following the steps outlined in the link below

'Replace the following empty ink cartridge:' Message Displays on the Product After Installing a New ...

That work?

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Student
Nofearangel
Message 25 of 59 (3,974 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem, I have replaced the ink cartridge and reset the machine multiply times. THe full reset used to help and the printer was usable for a few days but then the same problem happened again and again.

{Content Removed: no legal discussion permitted} Even if it is out of warrenty this is not acceptable quality a printer should last atleast 3 years and there seems to be many with this same problem making it a manufacturing fault. which means RECALL!!! {Content Removed: no legal discussion permitted}

My problem happened during the warrenty problem but alas the temporary fix carried it out of warrenty. This is not acceptable and in terms of the consumer act we have a right to a replacement. {Content Removed: no legal discussion permitted}many thanx

Honor Student
smartcookie
Message 26 of 59 (3,940 Views)

Hi All, I have the same problem as everyone else - have tried the suggestions in the HP sheet Clara keeps referring to but no luck. I spend lots of time turning this thing on and off which allow me to get 2-3 pages printed. I had to go and buy a cheap printer just to get me sorted on an urgent job he other day. Very soon I'll need to replace ink in that as well as the HP. On my last black (i had replaced with the XL but this time went back to the standard) I only got about 5 pages printed. In 3 months this printer has had about the equivalent of 3 years of turning on and off and ink cartridges in and out. This unit replaced a HP PSC 3310 which was a magnificent printer - very disappointed with this and tempted to go and buy a used 3310.

Student
Lollieloos
Message 27 of 59 (3,845 Views)

Hi

I have a simular issue!!

For the last few years i have been using a hp1010 laser jet which i love and has worked well.

I have just purchased a new computer and the above printer in not compatable with windows 7.........gutted!!!!!

I now have a Officejet pro -which tells me i have to install a new magenta cartridge, bought a new one loaded it and same thing comes up on the screen.

Being curious/nosey i had a look inside - and from the ink cartridge to the printhead there is a little tube (a bit like the plastic tube that holds ink in a pen) and there is a kink in it - so the ink is not going to the print head!!!

Have been told that i cannot get it sorted through the 1 year warrenty as it has "been damaged by me and trapped in the printhead when it has been clicked into place" - didnt even know the printheads were there!!! and it has printed over 500 leaflets/invoices and wasnt until i had to replace the cartridge in the first place that the issue came to light!!

Cant even seem to find out how to repair this issue...........gggrrrrrr

If only windows 7 would accept my faithfull hp 1010

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 28 of 59 (3,833 Views)

Hi Lollieloos

Is your printer an OJ Pro 8500? And you think the problem is with kinked tubes? (see link here )

When you contacted Support, did they provide you with a reference no. ? (this typically begins with an '8')

Thanks

Ciara

Student
daoz8
Message 29 of 59 (3,581 Views)

I have had the same problem with the "empty" black ink jet cartridge..............printer will not turn on/off..............I did re-set it but still get error message.  This started immediately after I replaced the new ink cartridge.................I cleaned all the ink cartridges at contacts and still same problem

Also am unable to download the HP program to manage this printer even though I have another printer assigned to the HP Solution Center..............

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 30 of 59 (3,571 Views)

daoz8 wrote:

I have had the same problem with the "empty" black ink jet cartridge..............printer will not turn on/off..............I did re-set it but still get error message.  This started immediately after I replaced the new ink cartridge.................I cleaned all the ink cartridges at contacts and still same problem

Also am unable to download the HP program to manage this printer even though I have another printer assigned to the HP Solution Center..............

Hi daoz8
If you have followed all of the steps in the link below then I would recommend you contact phone support

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02005923&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc...

Please let me know how you get on

Thanks

Ciara

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation