Question

Honor Student
CahabaGirl
Message 1 of 4 (1,771 Views)

Officejet Pro 8600 Plus produces very poor quality photos

I have a new  HP Pro 8600 Plus that has disappointed me in the quality of photo prints.  I have always had very good results from my prior HP printers, the last one being the 6500 and was expecting similar quality with this one.  I am using HP Premium Plus paper (glossy) and the ink that came with my printer (which I purchased at Costco).  The photos are lacking in sharpness and look like very cheap copies.  Am I expecting too much from this model?

Student
pmichaud
Message 2 of 4 (1,643 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8600 Plus produces very poor quality photos

I just got the 8600 (premium) and I'm seeing the same thing -- the photo looks "washed out" and low-quality; in particular, the black isn't a very deep black, especially as compared to my previous printer (officejet d145). The output looks more like a printed scan than a photograph.

Honor Student
CahabaGirl
Message 3 of 4 (1,639 Views)

Yes, it was very surprising  to me since I have had several HP printers  that produced great prints.  Fortunately, I had purchased mine from Costco and they gave me a full refund when I returned it...even though we had already discarded the original box.

Now, I'm on the hunt for a better printer.  I want an 'all in one' type that produces good photos.

Student
mslonline
Message 4 of 4 (1,367 Views)

I've had the same experience, it doesn't print glossy. I'm using the same HP photo paper. I believe it's the type of ink they're using on the 8600. They say it doesn't dry up as easily, so maybe this is the down side. However, it would be nice if they wouldn't advertise, ".. prints impressive business photos." I bought this printer to replace an HP Photosmart c4180, that prints impressive photos, but the ink drys up because I use it so sporadically. I guess I'm going to have to replace the color cartridge (since it dried up again with plenty of ink in it) and remember to print color copies at least once a week. Otherwise, the 8600 seems awesome so far.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation