Officejet Pro 8600 Premium printer will not print cardstock. I have tried 3 different types of card (1738 Views)
Honor Student
smateja
Message 1 of 4 (1,738 Views)

Officejet Pro 8600 Premium printer will not print cardstock. I have tried 3 different types of card

I can't get my printer to print cardstock.  It will print plain paper.  The printer was installed today.  The error message is "out of paper".  I have tried to load more paper, less paper, different types of cardstock.  Nothing works.

Intern
kathikens
Message 2 of 4 (1,533 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8600 Premium printer will not print cardstock. I have tried 3 different types of

The following should do the trick (this is Windows 7, but close enough for you to follow in Windows XP)

1.  Start

2. Printers, then right click on HP 8600 and select Printer PREFERENCES

3. Paper Quality Tab, select Tray 1  (This is the key!)

4. Media:  Cardstock  (It's way at the bottom of the list)

Put a few pieces of card stock in your tray and this should work for you.

Honor Student
GuyOwen
Message 3 of 4 (1,434 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8600 Premium printer will not print cardstock. I have tried 3 different types of

This may help, or it may not. You did not state from which Tray you were trying this. I struggled with getting Tray 2 to print at all. It's one thing to load it with paper (of any size), and it's another to load it with a paper type it supports. For example, I wanted plain letter paper in Tray 1 -- no problem. I wanted Glossy HP Brochure Paper in Tray 2. Both Letter-sized. That was logical thinking, to me. Plain Paper in Tray 1. Specialty Paper in Tray 2. Doesn't work!

It would print fine from Tray 1. But Tray 2 would seem to work, then it would pull from Tray 1.

It took me awhile to realize that under Printer Preferences / Paper Quality when I selected Glossy HP Brochure Paper for Tray 2 there was a Warning Symbol that appears next to almost every Paper Type selection on that list for Tray 2 -- a small yellow triangle with an Exclamation! Point. Then I realized my mistake: Tray 2 will only support Plain Paper. The Glossy HP Brochure Paper must go in Tray 1.

As soon as I switched them, it works fine.

See if your Tray 2 has anything other than Plain.

If this does not work, try...

1) Turning Off the printer.

2) Unplug its Power Cord -- important step. You must unplug it. Do not plug it back in until you follow the next steps in sequence.

3) Pull Tray 2 completely out, then reinsert it all the way.

4) Next, lift the top section of the Printer off of the Tray 2 base unit.

5) Carefully reseat it.

6) Plug the printer back in.

7) Turn it On.

8) Reconfigure your selections for paper in each Tray using Printer Preferences or Control Panel / Printer.

9) Test these settings by sending a few new print jobs.

Good luck!

This "discovery" took me a few months to realize my own mistake. Why Tray 2 refuses to support anything other than Plain Paper is a mystery to me.

THIS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOUR SITUATION IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ONLY HAVING ONE TRAY, but look to see if the Warning Symbol appears on your Card Stock within the Printer Preferences list of paper types.

Intern
kathikens
Message 4 of 4 (1,380 Views)

Good News!  Simple Fix.  Use Tray 1 AND set your paper type as "Thick Paper"  NOT  Cardstock.  That should work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation