Question

Honor Student
Rand_Al_Thor
Message 1 of 7 (2,640 Views)

Officejet Pro K550 Model C8157A Changing Printheads

Hi! As dumb as this sounds I'm having a major issue changing my print head. The real issue is on the HP service page for the K550 they show an illustration showing 2 latches for lack of a better term that you pull up first, to get to the old print head. Well on mine there is nothing like that. And nothing else is familiar about the illustration on the inside, however the outside is still the same model, with the 4 ink cartridges going in on the left. I have searched and found nothing about this. There doesn't seem to be any latches or any way to even get to the printheads even after taking the ink cartridges out.

Any help or ideas much appreciated!

Teacher
CyclingFool
Message 2 of 7 (2,635 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro K550 Model C8157A Changing Printheads

First of all, is there something wrong with the printheads?  I would think they would be okay, and you only need to replace the ink supplies.

That said, tell me what you do see.  If you lift the top cover, using the little thumb hole on the left side, you can see where the printing happens, and there should be something at the left that looks like a latch with a picture on it.  What do you see on the left side?

Regards, CF

While I do work for HP, anything I say is from me and me alone, and does not reflect the views, opinions, strategies, or favorite ice cream of HP in any way, shape or form.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 3 of 7 (2,623 Views)

I would imagine THIS document should be sufficient, as it gives illustrations of where exactly the printheads are and how to remove them. Did you follow the same document too?
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
Rand_Al_Thor
Message 4 of 7 (2,610 Views)

Hi & thanks!

That is the exact document I am talking about, however mine is totally different. There is no latch as seen in figure 2. As close as I can describe it it looks like I'm looking at the right side of the pic on that image. I've examined the front inside and above where the inkjet cartridges are inserted and there are no latches to undo or pullup even after removing the inkjet cartridges. At the front of the printer looking down you can see the 4 silver clamps, surrounded by its casing....which is attached to the back end which I assume house the printheads. The top of this piece has a flimsy plastic piece covering the 3 sets of wires going in. Could this have been an early model? I also just noticed that on the left side of the front piece where the 4 clamps are, there is a screw going into the back piece. This cannot be accessed unless the side of the printer is taken off.

And I did get the model number from the back of the machine so I'm sure its the right one.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 5 of 7 (2,609 Views)

Did you press and hold the Resume button for 5 seconds? This will make the carriage move to the left if it it on the right.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
Rand_Al_Thor
Message 6 of 7 (2,596 Views)

You got it! Had I read rather then scan the instructions I would have caught that. Once I did that the rest was rather easy. You have solved my problem!

I have cleaned the printheads twice and ran tests and the cyan is still not good although it has improved approx 20%. The lights are not flashing either (which I read) to replace printheads. I guess I'll just keep cleaning and aligning etc and see what happens, but thanks so much for your help! :-)

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 7 of 7 (2,592 Views)

Have you tried cleaning the electrical contacts on the back of the printhead and inside the carriage with a dry, lint-free cloth?
I am an ex-HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation