Question

Honor Student
MJBreunig
Message 1 of 8 (11,796 Views)

Officejet Pro K8600 Manual Feed - User Guide Instructions

After much difficulty trying to use the K8600 rear manual feed slot, I stumbled into the instructions for loading paper in the user guide. I think the "Print with the rear manual feed slot" instructions should be modified to make it clear that paper loading is much more complex than one might expect.  This is the first time I encountered a printer where just placing the paper in the feed slot and then telling the software to print does not work.  The "Load media" reference must be read to be successful.  The correct procedure is:

1.  Set the printer preferences to "manual feed"

2.  Wait for the resume light to blink.

3.  Place the paper in the rear slot.

4.  Press the resume button (far right button).

5.  Wait for the printer to detect the paper.

6.  Press the resume button again to print.

The manual feed documentation and hardware fails the "user friendly" test.  The printer preferences dialog could (should?) display some instructions when the manual feed paper source is selected.

Comments or criticism is welcome.

Student
aTechie
Message 2 of 8 (11,582 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro K8600 Manual Feed - User Guide Instructions

HP! Are you reading this? If you have even a namesake quality control policy in place, you would fire the person who wrote the documentation for this printer along with his/her department head who approved it. If one were to go by the instructions in Load Media (that tells you to press resume button only once), one would keep waiting endlessly for the paper to be fed. It is HP's moral and professional obligation now to email the correct procedure to each and every buyer of this printer. And thanks a lot MJ.
Honor Student
agould
Message 3 of 8 (9,160 Views)

Thanks for this. I found the same.  I also found that you have to give the paper/card a slight push to get the printer to recognise and feed it at step 3.  Maybe the rear feed is faulty or needs a clean.

It took ages to get it to work and I must say that whilst this printer is great when it works, getting it to work reliably is another matter.  I have it attached as a network device and it often just stops working.  I believe HP release updates for this from time to time so it must be a recognised problem.

I have also just replaced a print head (black/yellow) and the new replacement was faulty, so I don't seem to have much luck.  I had a CP1700 before this one and that was also unreliable.  I had had hoped that the 8600 would be reliable, but this puts me off buying another HP unit for the office.

Perhaps someone from HP will kindly reply and advise if there are any suitable maitneance steps or checks that I can make.  That would help to restore confidence.

Honor Student
Groundedcontrol
Message 4 of 8 (9,063 Views)

Hello,

I am having a similar problem. In my case, the printer settings will only allow me to choose "Printer Auto Select" or "Tray 1." I've tried this with and without the duplexer installed, and have restarted my printer in both configurations. I am somewhat frustrated, and I am really not looking forward to calling HP's legendarily bad customer service line. I've read their "user manual" (It ought to contain instructions on how to search google for other people with similar problems) and have not been able to find an answer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Louis 

Honor Student
agould
Message 5 of 8 (9,061 Views)

Hi Louis,

You should have the manual feed option available from the Paper Source drop-down in the Features tab in printer preferences.  It is also available by right-clicking on the printer, selecting Properties and then Device Settings.  You will need to have the duplexer removed.

Incidentally the problem I had with print quality was a faulty new print head.  The replacement fixed the problem.

HTH

Andrew

Honor Student
Groundedcontrol
Message 6 of 8 (9,058 Views)

Right, I understand where it should be, but it simply isn't there. I'm using Windows 7, if it makes a difference. If I right click on the printer and select "printer properties", I get access to the following tabs "General" "Sharing" "Ports" "Advanced" "Color Management" "Security" and "Device Settings"

NoRearFeedOption.png

Anyway, I do appreciate the suggestion. I guess our problems really only have one thing in common, mostly that the User Guide offered no help. Oh well. If I happen to come across a solution, I'll have to share.

Honor Student
agould
Message 7 of 8 (9,057 Views)

It should be there under Device Settings from Printer Properties (not Properties under W7) or Features from Printing Preferences.  This is the same on both my Vista and W7 PCs.

Check you have the latest drivers installed too :smileyhappy:

Andrew

Tutor
Samio2008
Message 8 of 8 (7,005 Views)

My OfficeJet Pro K8600dn could never feed paper from back manual tray in USB mode.

When I try to print from the back tray, I get the error message saying that my printer has a duplex module mounted, in spite of this one was removed from the printer before. The only way I can use the back tray is when I use the printer as network device, at this moment I get faulty printings.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation