Question

Student
anonymous42
Message 1 of 9 (1,394 Views)

OfficejetPro 8000 won't stop cleaning, printing test pages

Every time just after we print, our Officejet Pro 8000 A809 prints a test page, then starts cleaning and nothing can be printed again for several minutes. The test page can be canceled, but not the cleaning cycle. If we add several documents to the print queue quickly, it will print those documents, but always the test page and cleaning cycle afterwards. The cleaning cycle seems to be using a lot of ink. The page it's printing has CMYK stripes down each side and bars running down the middle, some slanted.

I've tried resetting the printer by unplugging it, the queue doesn't show any errors, and neither does the HP "Solution" Center.

Thanks for any help.

Top Student
Hypotaxis
Message 2 of 9 (1,302 Views)

Re: OfficejetPro 8000 won't stop cleaning, printing test pages

I have exactly the same problem that started after cleaning the printheads.

I have not found a solution and HP is notable - as usual - by it's silence. Sigh!

It's a really good printer and I would like to get this fixed. Maybe there could be a patch -- hint! hint!

Honor Student
kautzm
Message 3 of 9 (1,292 Views)

I have the same problem.  It started happening when I replaced the print heads.

Honor Student
billp52
Message 4 of 9 (1,173 Views)

Me too - and the printer gobbles ink and paper in the process. But I have the solution - buy another make and put this one in the bin, it's going to be cheaper in the long run. My colour cartridges only manage to print a dozen or so colour pages before they need replacing. Basically this is driving me nuts - is there a proper solution?

Honor Student
YUSUF1985
Message 5 of 9 (1,127 Views)

Same problem.

I will take it back to HP dealer to fiind the soultion i thing this is Manufacturing defects.

Not wast your time i try so hard to find a soultion but nothings work, So this is Hp broplem and if you have wranty take it to the shop and let to find the soultion.

This is very bad Manufacturing defects, HP 8000 Must be butter as i think.

Honor Student
YUSUF1985
Message 6 of 9 (1,124 Views)

Honor Student
billp52
Message 7 of 9 (1,093 Views)

I've solved the problem - bought another printer. The officejet was consigned to the ashbin - shame really, but I've now got a printer that is not sold as a loss leader that needs overpriced inks to run it. I paid a proper price and the inks are a fraction the cost of HP ones and last a lot longer. I'm now one happy bunny.

Top Student
jonathan9
Message 8 of 9 (908 Views)

Have exactly the same issue, every time the printer is powered on it goes through a 4-5 min cleaning process. This is: irritating, time consuming, ink wasting. Extremely disappointed with HP, I've bought this recently for low volume high-quality office work, and it's going to be cleaning itself more than printing pages. Ridiculous.
Top Student
jonathan9
Message 9 of 9 (868 Views)

Just a quick update as HP seem completely incapable of answering threads here, offering advice (tried their woeful helpline which just reiterated advice I'd already read in the manual), or helping their customers at all. I've returned the printer to the supplier, as it was completely intolerable, after 3 days of its cleaning process (twice taking over 15 minutes) it refused to print half the colours, and after yet more cleaning it exhausted the inks – it I hadn't paid for the device, I'd have laughed... To market and sell this device as a small workgroup printer is ridiculous, it doesn't even properly function as a printer at all. We've been purchasing HP devices since the 550C way back in the early 1990s, but will never purchase a printer from HP again. Slowly but surely the devices have become cheaper, poorly built, with the focus on tiny ink cartridges to fleece the customer. I'm absolutely disgusted with the lack of assistance, support, let alone the truly abysmal device which is/was the 8000.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation