P2035 LaserJet printing problems (4683 Views)
Top Student
bill99
Message 1 of 2 (4,683 Views)

P2035 LaserJet printing problems

Details: HP 2035 printer, new.  Parallel port connected to Win XP Media Center PC.  USB port connected to Vista premium (32-bit).  Printer firmware updated.  This printer was to replace a failed HP 1200 which was connected just as this one is (i.e.., parallel port to one computer, USB to another).  The 1200 worked fine in that configuration.

Now, any printjob that is sent from the XP computer via parallel comes out, well, @$%*@ up.  Sometimes I can see bits of what looks like PJC language commands (my guess, don't really know what all that junk is).  Mostly, we just get pure garbage, and often just a line or a few per page with many pages printing out.

Yet, just once in a while I can get a printer test page on the XP to print correctly.  The parallel cable is OK (did swap with another), and once issuing a dir > lpt1 at the command prompt correctly printed out.  So, I therefore presume the cable is OK, the computer's parallel port is OK, etc.  And as stated above, all worked fine with the HP1200.

Through all this, the USB port connection always works. It is important to have the parallel port, as there are two very important DOS programs that print to LPT, so not printing via parallel is not an option.  And besides, it worked with the dual-port HP1200, so it should work with this dual-port HP2035.

Thanks

Student
joebutts
Message 2 of 2 (4,587 Views)

Re: P2035 LaserJet printing problems

I seem to recall that you must choose whether you want to print via Parallel port or USB and that you can't choose both. Probably creates a conflict.

I'm having a similar problem. Working on a laptop with XP Pro. Hooked up with USB. DOS application only recognizes LPT ports. I have a Serial port available. What else do you need to know?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation