Question

Student
hpf3802280
Message 1 of 2 (835 Views)

'PAPER JAM' messages with HP F380 and F2280 using WIN 7. OK with WIN XP using same printers.

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I tried to print a .jpg on A4 220gm Photo Paper. (I have a Samsung Laptop, using Win 7).  The printer (HP Deskjet F2280) stopped and I got the ‘paper jam’ message.  The photo paper wasn’t jammed and, when I pressed the ‘colour’ button on the printer, it rolled out - but the printing of the photo had stopped after about 1.5 inches.

I tried several times - shutting down my computer, re-booting etc etc  - but could not get rid of the ‘paper jam’ message even though there was nothing in the printer by then.  When I did get rid of the message and carried on printing, the printer always stopped after about 1.5 inches of printing and always started again – without printing anything -  when I pressed the Colour button.

I then tried using my HP Deskjet 380 and exactly the same thing happened – identical ‘paper jam’ message, identical stop after about 1.5 inches of printing. 

I tried printing a sheet of A4 plain paper in each printer.  No problemBoth printed.

I then plugged my HP Deskjet F380 into my old Philips Desktop Computer which uses Win XP, inserted a sheet of A4 220gm Photo Paper, and it printed a .jpg in best quality.  No problem.  No jam.  I continued to print a number of .jpgs in best quality on similar photo paper until the colour cartridge ran out!

So … in my opinion, the problem is within Win 7.  I visited the HP Solution Centre and checked for Updates.  There was only ONE, and I allowed it to be installed, after which I managed to print ¾ of a photo, on the A4 220gm Photo Paper, before the printer stopped and I got the ‘paper jam’ message again – but continued when I pressed the Colour button without printing anything more.  More ‘paper jam’ messages.

I have proved that my printers are OK so there is a bug somewhere on Win 7 and the HP Printer system.    I am over 80 (but have owned a computer since 1980) so would appreciate some help on this one.  I have Googled the problem but cannot find mine, i.e. where everything is OK on Win XP but not on Win 7.

Thanks.

Honor Student
Cha_Os
Message 2 of 2 (300 Views)

Re: 'PAPER JAM' messages with HP F380 and F2280 using WIN 7. OK with WIN XP using same printers.

It think it's a problem with windows period! I'm having the same problem with Windows Vista. I tried printing a photo on letter-sized photo paper and it also jammed halfway through the printing job, then spat out the paper without finishing the job. I tried several times after that -- no printing at all -- just paper jam messages. Yes, I tried HP Print Doctor several times, and it has no problem printing out test prints on my photo paper, but no photos!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation