Question

Student
Meistersinger
Message 1 of 6 (8,026 Views)

PSC 1510 All in one printer - won't print even black and white when colour cartridge not recognised

My PSC 1510 All in one printer is flashing the "check printer cartrige icon" and both "Black" and "Colour" icons at the bottom left of the printer.

It won't print at all, even when I select grayscale (black and white). The help pages tell me that if I remove the colour cartridge the printer will switch to backup mode and I'll still be able to print in black and white (though not copy or scan). But this is not the case, and I can find no way of switching manually to backup mode. The help pages have no useful explanation of backup mode. I've also tried cleaning the cartridge (which I'm pretty sure isn't empty) but that makes no difference.

Can anyone help? I'd be very grateful.  

Student
gabri21
Message 2 of 6 (7,399 Views)

Re: PSC 1510 All in one printer - won't print even black and white when colour cartridge not recogni

I have a very similar problem with my PSC1510 but only the colour cartridge light is blinking. I am also unable to find any useful information to set up printing in back up mode. Can anyone assist in resolving this problem for us?

Meistersinger, were you able to resolve?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 6 (7,383 Views)

Re: PSC 1510 All in one printer - won't print even black and white when colour cartridge not recogni

gabri21 wrote: I have a very similar problem with my PSC1510 but only the colour cartridge light is blinking. I am also unable to find any useful information to set up printing in back up mode. Can anyone assist in resolving this problem for us?

With only one cartridge light blinking I would suspect the cartridge, they do rarely fail (much more often for reman cartridges, see here).  Clean the cartridge contascts as shown here.  If that fails and the cartridge is an original HP then check the warranty date as shown here.  If the cartridge is in warranty return it to your dealer for a warranty replacement.

The printer will automatically switch to backup mode if the black (or color in some printers) cartridge is removed.  I do not know if this works with the PSC 1510, some all-in-on devices insist on having both cartridges present.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
ItsJustAndy
Message 4 of 6 (6,997 Views)

Black ink wont print on plain paper setting, chang it to "hp premium paper" and away you go. "Best" for quality, but thats default for hp premium, changing the setting to "Best" for plain paper makes no difference, it still wont print.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 6 (6,990 Views)

ItsJustAndy wrote:

Black ink wont print on plain paper setting, chang it to "hp premium paper" and away you go. "Best" for quality, but thats default for hp premium, changing the setting to "Best" for plain paper makes no difference, it still wont print.

If HP Premium photo paper is selected the printer will print black using the color cartridges since pigmented black ink is not compatible with photo paper.  The printer will print much more slowly in photo mode and will put more ink than is intended on the page.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
ItsJustAndy
Message 6 of 6 (6,983 Views)

This worked on 3 different printers and is not using the colour cartridge, including older printers I was given as 'faulty, not printing B&W', G85 and 1220C, I don't know the other model, it's newer and it wasn't mine. I know it's not using the colour cartridge, 1) I put an empty one in to check 2) I selected print in B&W. Andy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation