Question

Student
rcringer
Message 1 of 33 (8,733 Views)

Paper Mismatch Error for HP 6500A

Need some help.  Have a brand new HP 6500A Plus--less than 3 weeks old.  Beginning yesterday, I began receiving a "Paper Mismatch Error" message whenever I tried to print anything--MS Word docs, PDF files, Web pages.  No matter what I was printing, I got the same message.   I have gone to all the settings and made sure everything is set to "letter" paper (which is what I have in the printer).  No luck.

However, here's the kicker:  it will print if--and only if--I set print quality to draft.  Makes no sense to me, but I really need to get this thing working--can't afford not to have a functioning printer.

Anyone have ideas?

Top Student
nhddestiny
Message 2 of 33 (8,610 Views)

Re: Paper Mismatch Error for HP 6500A

Hello

There are a few things that can cause this issue.

First, have you tried a power reset of the printer, just by disconnecting the power and reconnecting?

Secondly, did you have any other HP printer software installed before installing this particular printer.

This will help me to narrow down what may be causing this for you.

Honor Student
kliegey
Message 3 of 33 (8,604 Views)

We have had the same problem.  It started for us after we printed photos directly from the memory card.  I have spent over 4 hours on the phone with HP support to find out you need to hit the back arrow 5 times and you will get a reset menu - go through the steps and do a semipfull reset and it seems to return things to normal.  Seems to be a glitch in the printer software.

Student
bmony
Message 4 of 33 (8,584 Views)

You are a life-saver.  That did the trick for me!

Student
chbhphelp
Message 5 of 33 (8,569 Views)

OK...I must be challenged...I am having the same problem and I have tried hitting every back arrow I can find to no avail...I would appreciate it if you could explain the steps you went through to fix this problem....thanks

Top Student
QT408
Message 6 of 33 (8,525 Views)

Hello: Can you please tell me where the button is on the panel to hit to get to the menu? Thanks

Top Student
nhddestiny
Message 7 of 33 (8,517 Views)

To access the support menu and use the semi full reset, you can tap the bottom left of the screen four times from the Home screen....where your return arrow normally would light up if you were on another screen. When you get support menu, select it and then select resets menu. You are looking for a semi full or NVM reset.

Although I work for HP, the advice I posted here is my own personal advice.

Honor Student
andread
Message 8 of 33 (8,506 Views)

I'm having the same problem. Just got the printer in December. It started when I printed 4x6 photos and then tried to switch back to letter size.

I've tried reconnecting/powering on & off, wiggling the left bar on the paper tray.

Per another suggestion, I do not understand what "home screen" to go to to hit the back arrow 5 times to do a partial reset. ??

However, thank you for the switching to "draft" quality tip until I figure out how to fix this!

Did you resolve the problem permantently?

Honor Student
andread
Message 9 of 33 (8,488 Views)

I do not understand what "home screen" to go to to hit the back arrow 5 times to do a partial reset. ??

I've tried reconnecting/powering on & off, wiggling the left bar on the paper tray.

Top Student
QT408
Message 10 of 33 (8,478 Views)

Hi: I too had this problem since 2-22-11. I have contacted HP and done all the troubleshooting. I tried the back arrow thing and could not access. I got so angry I just kept running my finger over the black area to the left of the screen and all of a sudden I got the support menu. I am not computer literate, but tried the reset and the printer did all the noisy resets and it printed a page. I don't know what I did, but just hit buttons and I went to my documents page and tried to print a page and dit printed. I don't know how long this will last, but GOOD LUCK TO YOU! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation