PhotoSmart C309a Won't read or recognise any cartridges (1864 Views)
Honor Student
Reliablity
Message 1 of 5 (1,864 Views)

PhotoSmart C309a Won't read or recognise any cartridges

Turned my PhotoSmart C309a off the other day and when I turned it on some time later

it says that all the cartridges are damaged or missing. The printer wasn't touched other than turning it off.

I purchased a complete new set of cartridges and same problem it says that the new cartridges are damaged or missing.

Real problem is that the printer is damaged or missing!

I've tried all the standard stuff like trying to clean the contacts and all the contacts look fine.

I can get it to recognised the black cartridge if I pull one of the colour cartridges out.

The printer is 14 months old out of warrantee so looks like I'm up for a new printer,

I never really liked this printer since it drinks the ink like a drunken sailor, does a cartridge clean all the time.

Any suggestions before I throw it  and treat it as a very bad loss ?

Teacher
rainbowlady23
Message 2 of 5 (1,855 Views)

Re: PhotoSmart C309a Won't read or recognise any cartridges

how about doing a reset?

Remove all the ink cartridges. Set them aside and make sure that the contacts will not rub  into anything.

While the printer is on, unplug the power cord from the unit.

leave it disconnected from power for 30 seconds only to avoid exposing your ink cartridges.

plug back the power cord and it should automatically turn the unit on. if not, just press the power button to power it up

install the ink cartridges ONLY when the printer says about cartridges are missing or damaged.

and see if you still get the same ink cartridges.

Now don't worry if your printer is out of warranty. You don't need to replace the printer right away or buy a new one.

If cartridge rejection continues, the next step is to replace the printhead assembly.

I sent you a private message on how to order it.

---Click KUDOS if you want to say THANKS.
Honor Student
Reliablity
Message 3 of 5 (1,841 Views)

Yes, tried resetting in a number of combinations, just tried with cartridges out again to no avail.

I get this with all brand new cartridges in

With all brand new Cartridges.gif

and this with one color cartridge pulled.

With One Color Removed.gif

They are all brand new, don't know why black is registering so low to be new either.

Student
normazhart
Message 4 of 5 (1,829 Views)

Error Messages

C309g puts an error message in my dock, reading "warning - 7:36" in yellow on black.  Does anyone know what this means? 

Student
chull
Message 5 of 5 (967 Views)

My  C309 was telling me I had a damaged or missing ink cartridge.  The fat black one.  I went out and purchased a two pack.  When I installed one, I got the same message, so I tried the other, same damaged or missing message.  I am sure that both of them were not damaged. 

What can I do now?  I sort of like the printer, but hate this cartridge stuff that keeps happening with my HP printers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation