HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
09-26-2009 02:06 AM
My father has had one of these printers for over a year now as has been using it successfully to print images from PC and direct from memory card. Until a few days ago when all images started to print much darker than before. This applies to new and existing images that previously printed without a problem.
The paper is the same, the ink cartridges are the same, and no settings had been changed on the printer.
In trying to rectify the problem he has so far:
Cleaned the Print heads
Changed the paper
Printed images from the PC and direct from memory card on the printer
Reset theprinter to Factory settings.
Increasing the Brightness option has very little effect.
All have made no difference.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
09-26-2009 05:07 AM
Would you be able to answer some of the questions below?
- which cartridges are you using?
- When you print a test page, how are the colours on there?
- When you make a copy directly on the product, are the colours then also more dark then before? (not sure whether you can compare this but what is your 'gut feeling' on this one?)
- What is the ink level? (below you will find steps how to check this)
The Ink Status window is part of the printer software and appears each time the printer prints a file. The window automatically displays the approximate ink level of each print cartridge. If you turned off the Ink Status window and want to check the ink cartridge levels in between print jobs or turn the Ink Status window back on, follow these steps:
- Open the Printer Toolbox . There are two ways to do this:
- Select Start and the HP Solution Center select the Settings menu, then the Print Settings submenu, and finally thePrinter Toolbox .
- Or in your printing application, select File , Print , and click Properties . Click the Services tab, then the Service This Device icon.
- The Printer Toolbox opens. Click the Estimated Ink Levels tab. A cartridge may be running out of ink even if the graphic shows ink remaining (see the note at the start of this section). Lines or streaks always appear in printouts when the cartridges begin to run out of ink. Replace print cartridges that are out of ink or low on ink.
- To turn the Ink Status window back on, select the Configuration tab and check the Display Ink Status Window option. The Ink Status window will appear each time the printer prints a file.
Arv / HP Social Media Ambassador / twitter: @HP_listens
While I am an HP employee, I am not a expert on all our products. When I offer advice, I'm not speaking for HP.
09-27-2009 03:09 AM
Thank you for your reply Arvid.
In answer to your questions:
- Genuine HP 343 and 348
- Colours are accurate and print as perfect blocks ie no streaks or fades
- Yes the printed images are darker (more grey - if that makes sense) than before
- The ink levels are: 348 at 75% and 343 at 25%