Question

Tutor
mmtokarz
Message 1 of 8 (4,260 Views)

Photosmart 3210 will not print black only

Photosmart 3210 will not print black only when color cartridges are either empty or missing.

The manual says that Black only printing should work when color cartridges are empty.

Printer gets stuck on message telling me that empty cartridge must be replaced to resume.

Is it possible to print Black only without color ink cartridges either empty or missing?

Please advise,

Mirek

Tutor
JennM
Message 2 of 8 (4,252 Views)

Re: Photosmart 3210 will not print black only

Here is a document on our support site that covers this issue: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00414417&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc...

Please let me know if you are able to resolve.

Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
Tutor
mmtokarz
Message 3 of 8 (4,241 Views)

Thanks for your feedback. Being an pseudo-IT tech with engineering background in my profession I am having an issue understanding why my top of the line (and expensive at the time of purchase) personal printer cannot print if I stick black ink cartridge only in it. There is something ill about complex operational philosophy of this printer. While I can accept the weakness and limitations, I am having problem accepting techno-gargle explanations why my printer would not print. There is black ink in it and it should print black/grey-scale, but it wouldn't.  As a user I expect simplicity, and I do not want to be caught with the drawer full of black ink cartridges of no use, because I have to also buy the color ones to print black. Does this make sense to anyone?! While HP may produce the best printers there are, on the next go I may settle for more convenience and less frustration.

You know what? Same goes for my car. Recently I jumped form many years of driving Honda to a Mercedes Benz. Great car, bad experience... guess what my next vehicle will be? :-)

Honor Student
jchilton
Message 4 of 8 (3,776 Views)

I have all colors - except Cyan and a full black cartridge and I cannot print.  I'm totally locked and since Cyan is the only problem, this is absolutely stupid that I can't print in black.  For a while it let me print in Black only - but I shouldn't have to click on print in black only and then press OK on the printer for every print job.

Any suggestions?

Top Student
RoseTech
Message 5 of 8 (3,714 Views)

It's designed to not let you continue using Black Only mode

[ Edited ]

This is the exact same situation. Cyan ink tank empty. Ample black etc. For a while I could choose Black Only. Now it says that I need to replace the Cyan to ensure printer health. It's not like I was using Cyan with the Black Only mode. Nothing has changed from now to when it first reported Cyan was out (and let me print using Black Only mode). It seems that it only does this by design. There is no solution, because that's what it is designed to do. After a certain period of the cartridge not being replaced, you are also locked out of Black Only mode. There is no knowledge base article directly addressing this issue as it is not an "issue" according to the posts made by HP reps. As one rep said, if you don't want to print color and only print black, you can't, so buy a new printer. :/

See related thread

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-and/cannot-print-black-only-until-I-replace-...

Tutor
Slimrock
Message 6 of 8 (1,883 Views)

Re: It's designed to not let you continue using Black Only mode

Well I replaced the same cartridge and it did not recognize it. My guess is that there is something wrong with their printer since we are all experiencing this with cyan only. I have changed other cartridges but this one shut my printer down. First they lie to my on what is in my expensive laptop and now this, I am done with HP. Going to make sure my many friends think twice about them too. If karma is real they should be competing with Gateway real soon.
Top Student
ripoff
Message 7 of 8 (1,476 Views)

ditto, done with HP forever

Top Student
irispress
Message 8 of 8 (1,241 Views)

Even worse, now it's not that the cartridge is "out", but now you can't print in Black Only if one of them has AN EXPIRED DATE!!  What's that about????  Oh, print quality?  When I want to print something that is solid black??  $$$$$$$ it's all about the money... sigh.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation