Question

Honor Student
Grebus
Message 1 of 1 (470 Views)

Photosmart B8550 Problems

I am experiencing 3 problems with my B8550 (purchsed in April 2010). I am using a new iMac with Snow Leopard and Lightroom 3 and/or Photoshop CS5. I updated the drivers, etc.

Problem 1-When printing from the computer, the prints on the B8550 have a magenta cast. The cast is on all prints that I print from this printer.  I am using HP inks and Advanced Photo paper. I also use a HP Photosmart B8850 and when I print the same prints on Advanced Photo Paper they are OK.

Problem 2-When I try to print 4by6 inch prints on the B8550 using the memory card reader, the tray advances into the printer but the printer returns the tray and an error message says that I need to load the paper glossy side down. I am using Advanced Photo Paper with the glossy side down. Sometimes a piece of paper is passed straight through and then the error message appears. This occurs when there are about 10 sheets or  more of paper loaded in the tray. If I reduce the number of sheets to about 2, it prints the images. I should be able to put more than 2 sheets in at a time.

Problem 3-If the printer sits for a few days, the color of the prints are hideous (this is not the magenta cast problem in Problem 1) and I have to clean the printheads. Is there a resolution for this problem. I am having to clean the printheads right now and the printer is not cooperating(only did a partial alphabet print and then froze).

Obviously, I am not very happy with the printer. I had a B8450 for several years and it was very good. The main reason that I purchased a B8550 was so that I could do 4by6 prints  from the SDHC memory cards which the B8450 card reader could not read. My B8850 has it bad spells but nothing like the B8550.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation