12-29-2009 08:13 AM
My new photosmart printer does not like printing pdf files. It takes an age to get to the print screen and then more often than not fails to print. When I click on OK (to print) it seems to have to 'reload' the pdf all over again. I have tried different size pdf files and that makes no difference. I have to then stop the application via the task manager.
Any ideas on what is wrong?
Thanks in advance
12-31-2009 06:29 AM
Mine does the same.I can print small double sided pdf documents but not larger files.
If any one can give a solution that would be great as I need to print large documents for my business.
02-14-2010 12:32 PM
I got a several solutions from HP as follows adn now it seems to work
- may work for you
Solution 1: Print using Print as Image option in Advanced Print setup.
1. Choose File > Print, and then click Advanced.
2. Select Print As Image.
3. Click OK to close the Advanced Print Setup dialog box, and then click OK again.
4. Try to print and verify the result.
This worked to some extent and also on my husband’s computer
This is the solution that I used
This option will use the HP Desk jet 550C Universal printer driver
included in the Operating System
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Printers and Other Hardware, then click Printers and Faxes.
3. From the 'Pick a task' options, click Add a printer.
4. In the 'Add Printer Wizard' window, click Next.
5. Select, Local printer attached to this computer. Remove the check
mark in the box next to 'Automatically detect and install my Plug
and Play printer'.
6. In the menu box next to 'Use the following port', select LPT1.
7. Click Next.
8. In the 'Manufacturer' list, select HP.
9. In the 'Printers' list, select HP Deskjet 990C.
10. Click Next.
11. Click Next. (It is recommended that you leave the default printer
12. Select 'Yes' to set the printer driver as default.
CAUTION: If 'No' is selected you will have to ensure that the
HP Deskjet 550C printer driver is selected in the Print
window within the application, each time you print.
13. Click Next.
14. Select 'No' to skip the test page
15. Click Next.
16. Click Finish to complete the installation.
NOTE: When the Printer Wizard is copying files, you may be
prompted to insert the Windows CD-ROM into the CD drive.
If Windows is unable to locate the files or you receive a
message about missing files, ensure that the Copy files
from box shows the correct CD-ROM drive letter. If you
are unable to install the driver from the Windows CD or the
disk provided by your computer manufacturer, contact the
computer manufacturer or Microsoft for assistance locating
17. Once the driver is installed, the HP Deskjet 990C printer icon will
be listed in the Printers and Faxes window.
=== Configuring the alternate printer driver for USB connection ===
1. In the Printers and Faxes Window, right-click the icon for the
HP Deskjet 990C printer.
2. Click Properties.
3. Click the Ports tab.
4. In the section 'Print to the following port(s)', click the check
box next to 'USB' port option. Your printer's model number
should be listed under the 'Printer' column.
5. Click the Advanced tab.
6. In the box next to driver verify that the HP Deskjet 990C printer
7. Click Apply.
8. Close Printers and Faxes window.
If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.
For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our website at: http://www.hp.co.uk/diagnostics
06-21-2010 09:04 AM
I am confused about the instructions above. The author seems to bounce back and forth between HP Deskjet 990C printer and HP Deskjet 550C printer.
PDF files and only PDF files will not print on my HP Photosmart Premium All-In-One C309a. I can not print PDFs that are online or that are on my hard-drive. I sometimes use the 'print to XPS file utility' and then open and print the XPS file.
When I try to print a PDF file, the printer makes all the noises it makes when printing normally, but does not print. The viewing winding says "Now Printing", a piece of paper cues up, the audio cue plays meaning job completed and eventually a blank piece of paper comes out.
I am using Windows XP.
11-02-2010 03:56 AM
I get exactly the same, just a blank page. I must say i'm pretty much fed up with this printer. As well as not being able to print pdfs, it's very slow, keeps giving paper jams and gets through ink too quickly.
11-22-2010 01:59 AM
could someone please help? I have recently installed Adopbe Acrobat Pro 9 - have managed to print a few files but now my printer refuses to print.
It appears that it loads the files many times (the size goes from 350 kb to 26 Mb for a one page document) and t hen it's stuck - can't even delete it. Have to close and restart the printer spooler then restart the PC to clear it.
does anyone have a solution?
04-07-2015 07:34 PM
I have been recently having the same problem also, but I have discovered that the printer simply does not want to print local pdfs.
I solved the problem by uplaoding the pdf to my google drive, then opening it in my browser, and printing it from there.
This solved the problem for me, but I am not sure if it is the case for all of you.
Hope this helps someone.
- HP Connected - Finding Your Printer's Email Address in HP Connected
- HP Printers - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
- HP Connected - Getting the Printer Claim Code
- HP Printers - Which Cartridges Work with My HP Printer?
- HP Officejet and Photosmart All-in-One Printers - The Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) Does Not Pick Up Paper