Re: Photosmart C309a won't power up and its AC Adapter 0957-2259 LED light is blinking. (624 Views)
Tutor
shed53
Message 1 of 5 (1,560 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart C309a won't power up and its AC Adapter 0957-2259 LED light is blinking.

I have a Photosmart all-in-one C309a.  A few days ago I started getting ink system dailure message, with code 0xc19a003e.  I tracked this down to being a failed printhead unit, so I ordered a replacement from the HP UK Parts Store on Friday 14th Oct, and it came today, Mon 17th. Great turnround of the order from HP UK - thanks.

When I came to fit the new printhead today, the printer would not power up.  No sign of any power from the power button, any of the control buttons or the display.  The AC power adapter (model number 0957-2259) has a green LED which was (and still is) blinking quite rapidly - several times per second.  After the power had been on to the AC adapter for some time (several tens of minutes I think, I wasn't timing it) noise started coming from inside the printer.  It's a sort of regular knocking and seems to echo the LED blinking - but there was still no sign of power - including no movement from the ink/printhead assembly.

I've tried finding suggestions online and I've seen some posts on some websites that suggest the AC adapter can be discharged in some way - but they're almost exclusively about PCs.  The posts read as if there's some sort of capacitor which builds up (too much) charge, and discharging it restores the adapter to working order.

I've just reconnected the power again to see if there's any change.  After about 10 minutes, the knocking sound came back again for a short time then stopped.  I noticed that the LED on the AC Adpater was steady green so I tried the on/off switch on the printer and it started to boot.  But then the knocking came back, the display panel started flashing white and then all signs of life (other than the knocking sound, which has become intermittent, perhaps 5-15 seconds at a time) disappeared.  The LED returned to flashing.

And then after maybe 20-30 minutes back with power, the printer finally tried to boot, the AC adapter's LED light was steady and my computer thought the printer was (briefly) online.

But then the adapter light started blinking again and now the printer behaves as if it has no power.

It seems to me that the symptoms can be explained by a problem with the AC adapter.  So

(A) does that sound reasonable?

(B) is there a way of discharging or otherwise "fixing" the AC adapter?

or (C) is it better/safer to to replace the AC Adapter?

TIA,

Chris

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (1,537 Views)

Re: Photosmart C309a won't power up and its AC Adapter 0957-2259 LED light is blinking.

The adapter can be reset as described here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Tutor
shed53
Message 3 of 5 (1,528 Views)

Re: Photosmart C309a won't power up and its AC Adapter 0957-2259 LED light is blinking.

Thanks Bob.

I suspected the AC Adapter was u/s, and the video you pointed to reinforced somethign I managed to try - I found a different power cord and AC adapter to connect to my printer and hey presto it came to life.  :smileyhappy:

I've now ordered a replacement Adapter.  Hope Amazon's 3rd party supplier doesn't take too long :smileywink:

Top Student
SunnyRainbowHea
Message 4 of 5 (631 Views)

What a superbly intelligent answer! It immediately fixed my HP C309a.  You rescued me from my aggravation and saved me money.

Thank you,  thank you, thank you, Bob Headrick!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 5 (624 Views)

I am glad I could help.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation