Question

Top Student
PhilDC
Message 1 of 6 (783 Views)

Photosmart C4680 offline / online by itself

I have a C4680 (C4000Series) All in one printer. All by itself whether I'm on my computer or not. If my printer is turned on, it will start beeping, the mechanical internal parts move (like it's going to print), the screen flashes on and off, and then it will go back to standby mode.  If my computer is turned on and I'm using it, you can hear the audible USB disconnect and re-connect sound (as if I unplugged the USB cable and plugged it back in). It used to not do this! I have had the printer for 6-8 months and it started doing this about 3-weeks ago. It is very irritating. It doesn't appear to cause any problems unless I try to print something at the same time it becomes, (possessed), and then it comes back online and prints just fine. Any suggestions? Except for being on HOLD with HP or Geeksquad, I can't seem to get an answer. All updates are current according to the HP update software on my computer. 

Top Student
ktsouthgate
Message 2 of 6 (752 Views)

Re: Photosmart C4680 offline / online by itself

[ Edited ]

I had a similar problem with my Photosmart D5163 and after investigating and following up see "http.fixya.com/support/t5821942-hp_photosmart_c6180_continually_powers"  my problem was solved. Check the capacitors on the control board as this seems a common problem with HP PCB's causing the switching off and on of its own accord. By the way i'm running Windows 7 Ultmate with the latest printer driver updates.

Student
taylortotsmama
Message 3 of 6 (641 Views)

I am experiencing this problem too, did you discover a solution?  And of course the warranty has just expired!

Student
meyer0701
Message 4 of 6 (589 Views)

ok so how do you fix that

Top Student
PhilDC
Message 5 of 6 (472 Views)

So far I have not found a fix for this problem. I will be getting a new printer very soon. That ought to fix it, and it absolutely not be an HP!

Top Student
PhilDC
Message 6 of 6 (470 Views)

Went here and it suggests that bad capacitors may have been used. Well isn't that just great. I am in no way going to dis-assemble my printer and try a self repair.. see.. http://www.fixya.com/support/t5821942-hp_photosmart_c6180_continually_powers What I do see is a new printer in the future, very soon!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation