Question

Honor Student
coylum
Message 1 of 6 (5,344 Views)

Photosmart C5180 - how do you remove print head for cleaning

Hello,

My black printing is behaving erratically in that some times there are lines of "dots" missing giving white lines in the text. I have run the cleaning proceddures several times with no improvement. It looks to me that one or two jets on the black ink head are seriously blocked and are not freeing up with the normal proceedure. I would like to remove the print head and give it a good soak (I have done this successfully on Canon printers).

Problem is I can't get any info from HP Customer Care on how to remove the print head. The printer is well out of warranty and HP are only interested in selling me a replacement

Can anyone here give me instructions on removing the print head or aim me in the right direction to get the information

Thanks

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 6 (5,333 Views)

Re: Photosmart C5180 - how do you remove print head for cleaning

The printheads in the C5180 are permanent and not user removable or replaceable.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
coylum
Message 3 of 6 (5,329 Views)

Thanks Bob.

Seems that my C5180 has just become a very heavy paperweight and yet everything works fine except the print head which is apparently uneconomic to replace

Don't you just love the built in obsolescence - 2 years of regular but light duty and then a trip to the tip...

Honor Student
USER-X
Message 4 of 6 (2,046 Views)

This helped me.  I use my c5180 alot and have run into the same Black Ink print failure recently.  I created a page of any character and highlight it all black, so you're pissing away your black ink.  It seems to unclog the print head for the duration of the print session, but I have to repeat that at my next print session. 

Longer lasting solution, I've also tried putting a drop of AMONIA, yep, the cure for many printer ink issues, on the cartridge nozzle, install it wet, let sit a minute, then print another crap load of black ink. 

This solution works for me cuz I use those after market refillable cartridges, which I love, cuz I don't do much photo printing on the c5180 and the ink is insanely cheap.  The Amonia solution will take several pages to print clean again, but if you're on the verge of dumping your printer anyway, its worth a try. 

Student
Jan1963
Message 5 of 6 (391 Views)

Hi

Today I cleaned the yellow printerhead of my c5180 with the ammonia trick. And it works.

Very good advice.

I was about throwing away my printer because the yellow colour didn't work at all.

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 6 of 6 (381 Views)

USER-X wrote:

This solution works for me cuz I use those after market refillable cartridges, which I love, cuz I don't do much photo printing on the c5180 and the ink is insanely cheap.  The Amonia solution will take several pages to print clean again, but if you're on the verge of dumping your printer anyway, its worth a try. 

Probably why the printer is clogging up.  But thanks for the hint.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation