Photosmart C5550 printer cartridges (3461 Views)
Honor Student
petercm
Message 1 of 13 (3,461 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart C5550 printer cartridges

Printer comes with 99 and 100 cartridges. Also uses 74/75 cartridges. CAn't find explanation in manual. HP Chat room tells me to use 74/75, switch back to 99 for best color. Doesn't sound right. Do I need to keep all 4 available? Most of my printing is text, but I'd like to be able to occasionally print the best quality photos. Anyone know the answer?
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 13 (3,498 Views)

Re: Photosmart C5550 printer cartridges

[ Edited ]

petercm wrote:
Printer comes with 99 and 100 cartridges. Also uses 74/75 cartridges. CAn't find explanation in manual. HP Chat room tells me to use 74/75, switch back to 99 for best color. Doesn't sound right. Do I need to keep all 4 available? Most of my printing is text, but I'd like to be able to occasionally print the best quality photos. Anyone know the answer?

This can be simple or complicated depending on your threshold for "best" photo's.  I will describe the various cartridges and their uses, then suggest a few options.

The 74 cartridge is pigmented black ink.  It is used for printing text and some plain paper of inkjet paper graphics.  It is not compatible with glossy photo paper and is not used for printing on these media.  This will be the best choice for printing text.  Depending on your printing needs the 74XL may be a better choice, it contains about 3x the ink at 2x the price.

The 75 cartridge is a tri color cartridge containing cyan, magenta and yellow dye based inks.  It is suitable for printing on plain paper or photo media and can print respectable photos.  When printing graphics the 75 cartridge may be used to print black in some modes because the dot size for the 75 cartridge is smaller than the 74, so the 75 can produce better looking grayscale graphics than the 74.  There is a 75xl cartrdige that may be more eocnomical depending on your printing habits.

The 99 cartridge is a photo cartridge and is swapped with the 74.  It contains light cyan, light magenta and photo black dye based inks.  Unlike the 75 cartridge the 99 cannot produce the full range of colors by itself, it must be used with a 75 color cartridge.  When printing photo's the 99/75 combination can give better results in light areas sugh as sky tones and faces.  The results may be less grainy than when using the 75 cartridge by itself.  While the 99 can be used to print text it will be a poor choice as the dye based ink is not as good on plain paper for printing text.

The 100 is a photo cartridge  and is swapped with the 74.  It contains dye based black, gray and light gray inks.  The  100 cartridge can print excellent B&W prints by itself.  When used with the 75 cartridge it can provide better detail in dark areas than the 75 by itself.

So... the suitable combinations would be as follows.  I would suggest printing the same photo with different combinations to see if you find a difference or advantage for a particular application. 

74/75  Best for text, best for all around printing.  Best on plain paper.  Respectable for photo's on photo paper.  Unless you print a photo using one of the other combinations and compare side by side you may think they are perfectly fine.  Most economical

99/75  Best for photo printing on photo paper.  Less graininess than the 74/75 combination, this will be most noticeable in light areas such as facial or sky tones.  Can be used for plain paper printing but not really optimum for this. 

100/75  Best for B&W photo printing on photo paper or enhancing color prints.  May be better detail then the 74/75 or 99/75 combination, especially in dark areas. 

I have some 99 and 100 cartridges but rarely use then as I find the 74/75 combination to be suitable for my casual photo printing needs.  I do notice a difference in photos put side by side from the different options, but given any one of them standalone it would look fine without a "better" option to compare with.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
petercm
Message 3 of 13 (3,439 Views)

What an informative reponse- Thanks so much, I got it now!
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 13 (3,432 Views)

If the question is answered please mark it solved.  This will help others looking for similar information find the answer.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

Honor Student
petercm
Message 5 of 13 (3,419 Views)

My first post on this site, so I didn't know about marking it solved. Now I got that figured out too! Thanks again.
Student
chrishoward1947
Message 6 of 13 (2,221 Views)

good stuff.....

my question: can I use a deskjet HP56 black cartridge for text only in my C5550 printer? the package says it works with deskjet 5550.....cigar? no cigar?

thanks

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 13 (2,220 Views)

chrishoward1947 wrote:

my question: can I use a deskjet HP56 black cartridge for text only in my C5550 printer? the package says it works with deskjet 5550.....cigar? no cigar?

thanks

Sorry, the Deskjet 5550 is a much different printer than the Photosmart C5550 and the #56 cartridge is not compatible with the Photosmart C5550.

Student
bosco57
Message 8 of 13 (1,808 Views)

my printer was printing just fine, then all of a sudden it quit and said cartridge in slot on right side is not intended for use in this printer.  I have removed it and replaced it and it still doesn't work.  Turned on and off.  Still doesn't work. Help

Honor Student
Sealover
Message 9 of 13 (1,631 Views)

My C5550 printer suddenly won't print, telling me my 74XL black cartridge is not intended for use on my printer.  This is the correct cartridge and nothing I do will get it to start printing again.  Have tried everything I can think of.  Help!

Honor Student
Sealover
Message 10 of 13 (1,601 Views)

Hurray!  I solved this myself and should have tried this first of all.  I unplugged my printer (be sure and unplug USB cable) and then reinstalled everything.  It now works perfectly.  Hope this works for others.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation