Question

Top Student
BobCmil
Message 1 of 9 (2,460 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart C6180 running slow slow slow

All of a sudden, my Photosmart C6180 is printing super slow.  It takes almost 5 minutes to print a web page. Other applications, same thing.  I have tried all of the power solutions, turning it on/off, etc.  The Printer Diagnostic shows everything is OK, but when I tell it print a test page, it actually takes 10-15 seconds to print the one-line printout.

I have tried to use the PRINT TEST PAGE on the printer front panel, but it comes back and tells me "Paper Size or Type is incorrect".  Huh???  It's 8 1/2 by 11, the size it's always been.  (Now that's weird!)

I have tried changing the preferences to FAST DRAFT and that doesn't help.  Everything else is set on AUTOMATIC.  I swear it thinks it's printing a photo every time.  Any advice would be welcomed.

PhD Student
bassergitz
Message 2 of 9 (2,438 Views)

Re: Photosmart C6180 running slow slow slow

Hard Reset – While printer is powered ON, pull

the power cord from the printer then from the

wall. After 30 seconds reconnect power to

wall and printer. This will trigger a ‘dirty power

up’ and restore the printer to a known good

condition (if it is possible). No user settings

are lost with a ‘hard reset’.
This ‘Hard Reset’ is one of the most powerful

tools to use when the printer hardware is not

functioning properly!

if not resolved, uninstall hp software & reinstall using latest software from HP site.

Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Happy Troubleshooting : )
Top Student
BobCmil
Message 3 of 9 (2,426 Views)

You know, I thought I had tried your solution, but perhaps I didn't pull out the plug from the outlet, or didn't do it long enough.  Even the COPY function was running slow.  AND, even the PRINT TEST PAGE function on the printer itself works correctly (without it powering down the printer like it was doing before. THAT had me really worried).  Thanks for your help.

Tutor
shschampion
Message 4 of 9 (2,364 Views)

This worked for me....

I had EXACTLY the same symptom, printing very slow and complaining about the paper size or type. Just restarting the printer did NOT fix the problem. Unplugging the power supply for 30 seconds as well did!

Thank you!

Honor Student
MASTERMAGICIAN
Message 5 of 9 (1,998 Views)

EXCELLENT SOLUTION , THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!

Honor Student
thisformdontwor
Message 6 of 9 (814 Views)

I tried all the suggestions,,  no help,  however,not to waste good paper I used some cheep light blue 

collored paper and it printed b&w nice and fast.  color a bit slower but reasonable.  put good paper

back in and back to slow.  Somewhere I saw a comment about cleaning or turning off the paper sencer.

Is this a possibility?  what is it and where is it?  

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 7 of 9 (757 Views)

Hi thisformdontwor,

I found a document that is specific to slow printing that you can use. > Determine whether the issue is in the hardware or the software.

You mentioned that you saw information somewhere about cleaning or turning off the paper sensor, you could certainly try these steps but I don't imagine it would resolve the issue you are experiencing. If it is necessary to make changes to the paper settings, the document above will instruct you to do so.

I hope this is helpful.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Student
salty5067
Message 8 of 9 (686 Views)

tried "hard boot" no change.  Runas like a 1970 dot matrix printer.

Honor Student
thisformdontwor
Message 9 of 9 (676 Views)

Hay group !!!

I fixed it...    Solved the problem....   No more slow printing...

You can do it too...    Carefully follow these instructions...

Disconnect the printer.  Remove the paper.   Remove all the ink cartriges,  

Take it out in the back yard,  toss it over the back fence-as far as you can,

and go buy a new printer,,  preferable a diffrernt brand.   I bought an epson..

END OF PROBLEM

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation