Question

Student
Designer3607
Message 1 of 6 (2,748 Views)

Photosmart C6280 False "Ink Cartridge Empty" Message

[ Edited ]

I have a Photosmart All-in-One C6280 - connected to an HP Pavilion with Windows Vista.  I put in a brand new (not expired) HP black cartridge.  I keep getting the "Black Ink Cartridge Empty" message everytime I try to print anything.  Both the ink level indicators (on the computer and the printer itself) say that the black ink is full.  I have tried unplugging, turning on & off, taking out the ink cartridge and putting it back in, nothing works.  I ran a "Self Test Diagnostic Page" and it printed out perfect.  It even said that my black ink was 100% full.  I have read many other posts with basically the same problem.  I have tried everything other people have said to do..except downloading the full version of software from the HP website.  I'm afraid to do that because I know nothing about computers.  Please help me, there must be an easy way to fix this.

Thanks

Teacher
BikerMikeH
Message 2 of 6 (2,720 Views)

Re: Photosmart C6280 False "Ink Cartridge Empty" Message

I am looking into the issue and will follow up shortly

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Teacher
BikerMikeH
Message 3 of 6 (2,718 Views)

With the printer on remove all the ink cart. from the printer, close the top, remove the power cord from the back  and let the unit sit about 30 seconds, plug the unit back in  and when asked reinstall the ink cart.. If that does not fix it remove the cart again, unplug the unit, then with a lint-free cloth that will not come apart and some distilled or bottled water, clean the copper-colored contacts on the cartridges and let stand about 5-10 minutes before reinstalling, and then plug the unit back in. If that does not work try replacing that cart and see if that resolves the issue. If not you will be looking into upgrading your printer.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Top Student
texas61
Message 4 of 6 (1,963 Views)

HP Photosmart 6180 All in One gave same message when all cartridges were new and status indicated cartridges were full. All test pages printed in color, and even when I chose "print in black only", color was printed. Could not get rid of the message using other suggestions. I disconnected the printer from the PC, removed all print cartridges from the printer, deleted the Print drivers completely from the PC (Windows 7 64 bit), re-downloaded and reloaded the complete set of drivers onto the PC, and then put the cartridges back in printer. This eliminated the message. 

Top Student
texas61
Message 5 of 6 (1,961 Views)

Photosmart C6180 False "Ink Cartridge Empty" Message

HP Photosmart 6180 All in One gave same message when all cartridges were new and status indicated cartridges were full. All test pages printed in color, and even when I chose "print in black only", color was printed. Could not get rid of the message using other suggestions. I disconnected the printer from the PC, removed all print cartridges from the printer, deleted the Print drivers completely from the PC (Windows 7 64 bit), re-downloaded and reloaded the complete set of drivers onto the PC, and then put the cartridges back in printer. This eliminated the message. 

Honor Student
dmicohen
Message 6 of 6 (1,954 Views)

My experience with this situation is to Re Power ON/Off , once with the old cartridges, then again with the new one(s)--waiting at least 30 seconds in between.... A Pain, but Simple...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation