Photosmart C6380 - Ink Cartridge Drama (13864 Views)
Student
Kelsey
Message 1 of 13 (13,864 Views)

Photosmart C6380 - Ink Cartridge Drama

My printer has worked well for 2 years. I have rarely printed pictures, mostly I am printing word documents or sheet music with plain black text. Yesterday the small black cartridge on the left side ran out of ink (the large one on the right was still half full).

Old Cartridges

It seemed clear to me that regular black ink had been coming from the one on the left given that it was the one that was depleted after printing a lot of plain black text. I was under the assumption that both blacks were the same, because that's what an employee at Best Buy had told me the last time I bought ink, when I bought the cartridge you see above left.

I did some research to see if there was a way to use the big cartridge without replacing the small one. I found that this wasn't possible, and also found out that the one on the left is supposed to be "photo black" and one the one on the right is supposed to be "regular black." Both of mine appeared to be regular black. I was very confused so I called HP support to make sure I got the right thing. The service rep told me that it didn't matter which was photo and which was regular as long as you have one of each. I explained that mine had been working with both regular, and he said that was impossible. He told me to replace the depleted cartridge with "photo black" so I went and bought one at best buy. Shown here next to the old one:

IMG_1713.jpg

After installing the new cartridge, the printer will not print any black ink. I called HP support again. A different rep told me that the left slot is meant only for "photo black" and the right slot is meant only for "regular black" and in fact a "regular black" for the left slot does not exist. He said that if the printer is not printing regular black ink then there is probably something wrong with the right cartridge, so I should get a replacement for that.

So back to Best Buy it was. I brought my ink cartridges with me and explained the situation to them. The guy said that if the right cartridge is still full then I shouldn't replace that, but should get a small "regular black" for the left slot which apparently did exist! I decided to buy both the small on and the large one just to be safe and then return whichever one I didn't use. Shown here are the three total cartridges that I bought:

IMG_1727.jpg

As you can see the "regular black"  from the blue box is actually an in-between size, a smaller version of the XL from the green box, both meant for the right slot, which you can tell from the pentagon symbol. (The bow-tie symbol is for the left slot.) Both those symbols are conveniently not displayed anywhere on the box. And if you think about it, the cartridges in the blue boxes actually have nothing in common, unlike the two that share the pentagram symbol, which is not on the box. There is the nice matching black dot for regular and the little camera for photo, two different symbols that give you absolutely no information about which slot they are for...... But I digress.

So all in all I put  a brand new "photo black" into the left slot, a brand new "regular black" into the right slot, and just for kicks I even threw in some brand new color cartridges. I also cleaned the printer head to make sure that wasn't the problem. It still won't print black, and now I get an error message saying, "Ink cartridge failure - 0xc19a0013."

I spoke with the second rep on the phone again and he says pretty much I just have to get a new printer.

So maybe my printer is just plain broken, but I still should not have had to make two trips to the store to buy three different cartridges to figure that out, not to mention how I ended up with a cartridge that doesn't exist in the first place. Plus whatever they are going to charge me for the three phone calls (with long stretches of time spent on hold) where I was given both incorrect and unhelpful information.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix my printer it would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'm going to get a new printer and it is not going to be an HP.

Student
nandero
Message 2 of 13 (13,590 Views)

Re: Photosmart C6380 - Ink Cartridge Drama

I had my HP C6380 for 18 months before I got the Ink system failure message.  I didn't have trouble with the cartridges, it just stopped printing one day.    I did the suggested trouble shooting several times.  Through a total fluke, I now believe, it started printing again.

About 3 months later it stopped printing again.  I did all of the trouble shooting, still didn't work.  I did the online chat where I was told that I needed a new print  head, with no further explaination as to where I should get one.  I got on the web and found an HP support number and chatted with 2 different people and was told 2 differnt things. One technician ordered a new print head for me and offered me "a new printer at a great discount."  I could walk into a local store and pay the same price or even get a better price..

I received the new print head today and it is the wrong one.  When I went back to the online chat, I was told it was the wrong one, given the correct part number and once again, no offer as to where to get one.  THat was about 20-30 minutes.

I called the same 800#, pushed the same numbers for technical support and have been on the phone for 40 minutes only to find out the my original order was put into the system incorrectly.  They wanted to find out what number I called originally and when I told them, they didn't know what the number was.  I told them it was the same number I had called originally!  "Oh, we're sorry! Let's get this taken care of for you."  Now I get to wait another 8 days to received the correct print head.

I am not at all impressed with HP support.  I certainly don't understand how they can claim to be #1 in support.

Student
mpcolorado1421
Message 3 of 13 (13,216 Views)

That is exactly what happened to me. These people dont know what they are talking about. I have about 7 ink cartridges that wont work now. So I guess I should go and get the photo ink? I guess thats what ill try. I was going by the hour glass shape. And they kept giving me the circle. I kept telling them it was the wrong one. And they kept telling me I was wrong. NOW I know im right! Thanks.

Student
jkfields
Message 4 of 13 (12,021 Views)

I've had the same problem numerous times.  I have had some greate HP printers in the past, but this is one of the worst I've owned.  In addition to the problem, it uses ink like there's no tomorrow.  But, I have been able tor resolve this issue each time.

1) Reset the printer

2) Clean the printer heads

3) Perform both the first and second level printer head cleaning

Once completed, you will probably be low on ink--again.

Thanks HP for a totally unreliable and a printer that is extremely expensive to operate.  I'm replacing it with a Brother Color Laser printer.

Student
salamonm
Message 5 of 13 (11,809 Views)

I have had the same problem ongoing now for too long. I have replaced the whole set of cartridges three times. Having goe through the clean printer heads option numerous times I have had to replace the colour cartridges as well as the black since the process uses so much ink.

I am now going out to cut my losses and buy a new printer. I will never choose an HP printer again.

Student
chrisss1s
Message 6 of 13 (11,740 Views)

sounds to me like you need a new printer, next time I'd recomend buying your ink online as its much cheaper. I buy mine from FindMySupplies its HP's actual shop but at lower prices.

Student
KPGeorge
Message 7 of 13 (10,878 Views)

Printer has worked well for 2 years. used it yesterday to print black ink documents. Today it won't work on black. I replace cartridges twice. I did the trouble shooting. Nothing helped. I called a guy in the IT field and he said HP has gone downhill in last few years.  Does anyone have a solution?

Student
screwhp52
Message 8 of 13 (10,876 Views)

Alright boys here we go, I fixed it!!!!

First i replaced all ink cartridges (idk if you have to or not)

Then i ran every test the printer offered, cleaned the printer heads and rebooted, didn't work

then i just got pissed. I took out the ink cartriges and used ****KEY ITEM***** A WATER PICK!!*** to clean all the pads, connecting points and anywhere where ink emerged from. After "picking' for like a half hour i dried it off and stuffed it back in.

I then got an error that told me to reinsert the ink and printerhead piece. I said screw that and pulled the plug, replugged in and waited for it to run the alignment test, lo and behold there was black ink on the test page. After words i printed a word document and it printed perfectly.

Student
Bcubed777
Message 9 of 13 (7,965 Views)

I have had a simlar issue. Please help if you can. So, I just found out that once the color cartridges run out of ink, you must purcahse new ones even if you only want to print black. Ok, so we can all agree that sucks, right? Well, I go ahad and get the color combo pack only to discover that I need photo black according to the message on my printer, even though I have NEVER nor intend to print photos (Costco baby). So, I was told by Best Buy to turn off and on my printer and that is should register the new ink cartridges and allow me to print without that black cartridge on the far left (the one for photos). Well, surprise, surprise it will not let me....UGH!!!!!!!! So, I have three new color cartridges that I never use and now I am scared that if I buy the photo black it still won't let me and then there goes my husbands hard earned money. What do you think, should I call HP and pay up to have this resolved or buy the photo cartridge?

Student
hisfisherman
Message 10 of 13 (7,281 Views)

If your smaller black ink cart. is used up, you are printing in color instead of black. If you print in color and the itemis all black, it uses the small black cart. When selecting black or draft, it uses the larger one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation