Photosmart C7280 Black ink cartridge problem (4501 Views)
Tutor
nummysmom
Message 1 of 10 (4,501 Views)

Photosmart C7280 Black ink cartridge problem

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help.  I've gone through the troubleshooting steps but must be missing something.

I have a HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One Printer. I noticed that when printing all black text that the ink color looked very faded. So, I replaced the black in cartridge, and made sure all the other cartridges had plenty of ink. I printed a test page but it didn't solve the faded black ink problem.

I went through the troubleshooting steps. I took the plain paper out and put it back in. I made sure the preferences for the printer were set to be using 'plain paper'.  I checked all the other usual settings and everything was normal...like its always been.  I used the TOOLS to realign the printer, I cleaned the printhead about 3 times, I ran a 'self-test report'.

Now...when I do the self-test report and the test print, all the colors look perfect except for the black.  Its as though the cartridge is extremely low...very faded. But I've tried 2 different new black cartridges...and no change. 

Does anyone have any ideas what I'm missing? Why the printer won't use the black ink?  The cartridges I bought are remanufactured but compatible with this printer.  And I've used remanufactured ones before with no problem.

Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance.

Lisa

Tutor
nummysmom
Message 2 of 10 (4,440 Views)

Re: Photosmart C7280 Black ink cartridge problem

I wanted to add the following info:

I bought a genuine HP cartridge, installed it, and cleaned the printhead 3 times. And I still have the same problem.  All the other colors are working perfectly, but the black is faded, and has some minor lines across the print.

Please....anyone have any ideas???:smileysad:

Honor Student
monterm
Message 3 of 10 (4,436 Views)

Hi I am A Printer technician, i have seen several of these HP Photosmart Printers, they are nice printers, however this seems to be a common fault, As the printhead is seperate from the ink tanks, and not replaceable the printer is pretty much unrepairable, No parts are avaible for any HP product that uses INK, if you have this problem there is nothing you can do to fix this, Nothing a Service centre can do to fix this, you have done nothing to the printer to cause this fault. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,  

Tutor
nummysmom
Message 4 of 10 (4,326 Views)

Wow...I sure hope you are NOT right...lolol

I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps.  I just used the distilled water trick on the cartridge contacts and on the inside of the printer.  Now, I have the black cartridge sitting "contact and holes up" undisturbed for 2 hours...which I guess will solve any problem if there is sediment blocking the ink hole thingys..lol

That was the last step for me to do.  HP had no suggestions after that.

And..I'm pretty sure this last step won't work.  The contacts were clean, and I've gone through all the steps with 2 brand new cartridges, the last one being HP brand. I don't know the odds of 2 brand new cartridges being clogged, but I doubt this is the problem.

Well after all that....I'm betting you are right.  Guess I better go research new printers. :smileymad:

I did just see a posting on here that said they will have HP experts on hand to answer questions in the forums....April 20 and 21.  So, I do plan on coming back and asking those guys if they have any other ideas.  I don't think I still have a warranty on this printer.  It is pretty frustrating to fork out money for things like this, then have to just throw them in the trash when they quit working.  Its ridiculous........:smileysad:

Thank you for answering though. I do appreciate it very much.:smileyhappy:

Tutor
nummysmom
Message 5 of 10 (4,304 Views)

As I thought, the last troubleshooting idea didn't work.  The black is only printing just very lightly..barely readable.

Off to shop for printers.

Top Student
RangerBob
Message 6 of 10 (4,252 Views)

04-15-2010 12:52 PM

I have a D7260 with the same problem.  I have changed the cartridge three times with new HP's.  I have cleaned the printhead 12 times, I have aligned the printhead 3 times, I have been on line with a tech two times.  I have deleted the software and downloaded/installed new software twice.  After no resolution, I have decided to get a laser printer; however, when I visited a local ink supplier to donate the empty cartridges from the past year - he said he had 7 or 8 D7260's in the back.  He told me it was a design flaw in the cartridge to printhead system.  Any air bubble that gets between the two will halt ink flow and he does not know any way to get rid of the air.  The tech told me I had a bad print head although I have only went through fewer than a thousand sheets since the machine was purchased new.  If only HP would be up front and offer some sort of compensation...

Tutor
nummysmom
Message 7 of 10 (4,244 Views)

I did read somewhere about how it could be an air bubble.  And it makes perfect sense.  Everything is clean and there is plenty of ink.....its just the ink isn't getting to the paper.

I agree about some kind of compensation.  I bought this AIO brand new a few years ago, and its ridiculous to have the thing stop working because of something so simple.  And to not be able to fix it!!  :smileysad:

I've been researching new All-in-ones, and am staying away from HPs because of this.  Well...this and the fact that they made the catridges stop working just because of a date...even though there is still ink in them.  :smileymad:

Thanks for your input RangerBob. :smileyhappy:

Tutor
nummysmom
Message 8 of 10 (4,233 Views)

I thought I'd post this in case anyone read this thread.

#1.  There is another thread on this exact same subject here:

HP Photosmart won't print black ink

Maybe some of the info there will help you.

#2.  In that thread there is a suggestion to try using a paperclip or needle in the tiny nozzles that are in the printer...the ones that the cartridge holes fit onto.  This is what I tried and it did help.  I stuck a hat pin in the two tiny nozzles that the catridge fits onto. I gently pushed the needles in and worked them around a bit to try to get rid of any possible blockage.  I did the same in the two holes on the cartridge itself. 

I also took the cartidge and with the holes 'up', I shook it and smacked it against my hand for a minute or so. I don't know if it helped any but thats what I did.  lol

I then put the cartridge back in, and ran through the 'clean printhead' about 2 or 3 times.  Its now finally printing the black ink again.

Hope all this info helps someone else.:smileyhappy:

Student
ibeme
Message 9 of 10 (3,824 Views)

Kudos.  Tried the hair pen (used big old safety pen. straighrened out) to clean the holes, ran clean cartridge heads, several times, and now my printer is printing black text.  So, with some effort the problem can be solved.Thank you.

Student
DrRobbie
Message 10 of 10 (545 Views)

Just tried the paperclip and it worked for me, too!  Thanks; saved me $150 on a new printer.:smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation