Question

Top Student
makuakane
Message 1 of 33 (5,270 Views)

Photosmart C8180 all in one

After power outage printer will not turn off or turn on , start button keeps flickering and the touch screen shows the on/off button and 83C00020. Tried to reset power and nothing seems to work.

Top Student
steelyp
Message 2 of 33 (5,227 Views)

Re: Photosmart C8180 all in one

We are also having the same problem. The printer will go strobe lights until you unplug it. Then when plugging it back in it will begin a long period of turning itself on and off and after awhile display an error such as B053B710 or B00A7CD2. We've tried the holding red eye and black buttons which almost work until it shuts itself off again. We've also done the reset with removing all the cartridges to no avail. This is very reminiscent of the last time we had troubles with an HP printer and our answer was "it's obsolete, buy a new one." It's a printer. I should not have to update technology who's sole purpose is to print a one page text document. This will be the last time I buy any of HP's products.

Student
srsatkowiak
Message 3 of 33 (5,186 Views)

Same problem here.  I have been getting a couple different codes and had no luck with the reset.  I am so upset about this because I loved this printer.

Top Student
Robert0856
Message 4 of 33 (5,181 Views)

Yes, exactly the same problem.  This C8180 was purchased direct from HP a year and a half ago.  It has been on extremely protected power connection at all times.  The problems started about 2 weeks ago with the flahsing of lights, and has developed into undependability in finshing print jobs.  It beeps off then goes into an extended power up routine.  Then it appears OK until I try to print.  I have gotten B3000C44 and B0391CB7 error codes displaying on the LCD?  any source for HP printer error codes or is that a comany seccret?

Top Student
makuakane
Message 5 of 33 (5,175 Views)

All they wanted was money to tell me it was shorting outy someway and  tried to send me to India and the Phillipeans , I just was discusted and told them I wanted someone in the US to handle it. Still nothing just the code 83C00020 and the Icon for the on/off switch. I am in the process of switching to a Kodak.

Top Student
dstring1958
Message 6 of 33 (5,123 Views)

I have the same problem but I have 4 of these machines purchased about 15 months ago.  Three of them have stopped working and are turning on and off and I cant do a thing about it.  HP wanted me to pay for nothing.  The people they have working cant even speak english.  All three of these printers stopped working within three weeks of each other..............I have 4 offices in Texas and I have called ever manager and told them never to purchase another HP product..................I have about  1,000.00 invested in these machines.  They worked great for 15 months just long enough for the warranty to run out..........

Top Student
makuakane
Message 7 of 33 (5,120 Views)

I had the same problem and the one I talked to was in India I said I wanted to speak with someone in the US and was switched to Manila I said no thanks and hung up. Th only thing we can do is boycott anything HP. They should be able to give ideas on what happened but they want to drain you dry, I was offered a 35.00 ticket to by a new printer and I said no thanks, I will switch companies to someone that will back up their products. I had paid 300.00 for the printer and in one year and a couple of months I had a 300.00 piece of junk.

Tutor
string1958
Message 8 of 33 (5,111 Views)

HERE IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE PHOTOSMART C8180 THAT KEEPS TURNING ITSELF ON AND OFF.

THE POWER SUPPLY BOARD HAS DEVELOPED BAD ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS.  IF YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO TAKE THE MACHINE APART YOU CAN LOOK AT THE CHECK THE CAPACITORS ON THE INTERNAL POWER SUPPLY BOARD AND USUALLY THE BAD ONES WILL BE BULGED AT THE TOP.  REPLACE THE FOLLOWING 4 CAPACITORS AND IT SHOULD WORK AGAIN.  tHEY ARE THE C613 & C660 (330Uf@10V), C614 & C662 (680Uf @ 6.3v).  You could call HP and talk to someone that doesnt speak English and pay for his time but it would do no good and would be a waste of time.  Wonder if I could go to work for HP.... I bet that within a 2 year period that 85% of all HP C 8180's will be doing the same thing............good luck and think about getting another brand of printer..................Don Stringer

Tutor
string1958
Message 9 of 33 (5,110 Views)

Hey Don Stringer, You are a really smart person....good looking too...Thanks for the information on the bad capacitors. I have replaced 4 in one of my printers and it now works,
Thanks again,
Don Stringer
Tutor
string1958
Message 10 of 33 (5,109 Views)

I gotta stop talking to myself............DS
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation