Question

Honor Student
CrazyOldMan2
Message 1 of 13 (6,243 Views)

Photosmart Plus B209 Excessive Ink Consumption

My Photosmart Plus printer uses too much ink.  I have had it 3 months and have printed very little.  Yet, I have gone through 2 sets of 564 ink cartridges.  It is almost out of ink again.  It seems to use ink even when I haven't printed anything.

Is it possible that my printer is defective?

During that entire 3 months I have printed no more than 10 4x6 photos and perhaps 30 mixed text/web pages.  I have never had a printer that used so much ink.

Honor Student
andycl2010
Message 2 of 13 (6,164 Views)

Re: Photosmart Plus B209 Excessive Ink Consumption

I got this advice from an HP online technician.

Hit "Start" (Windows Icon) --> Control Panel --> Printers

Next look for the B209 icon, then hit "Printer Preferences" --> Click on the Features Tab (make sure the Print Quality is "Normal") --> Next, click on the Advanced Tab (Change the Ink Volume option to "Change", from there slide the bar to the left side).  Finally, click on Apply, then OK.

This should help.

Andy

Honor Student
andycl2010
Message 3 of 13 (6,108 Views)

I found out that the standard-capacity HP 564 ink cartridges are partially filled tanks.  The XL versions are the full-capacity tanks.  That should clear things up.

Student
jtkanuck
Message 4 of 13 (5,967 Views)

I was using the online chat last night with the same issues. I replaced the ink, all 4 tanks in June, I printed two 5x7 photos, maybe three, and the cyan and magenta are empty. The Yellow is not to far behind. I have the XL black and holding fine. The tech from HP was with me for about two hours and came to the conclusion, ready for this, I used the ink. I used the standard photo print options off of a MacBook using iPhoto and the HP printer driver. Nothing spectacular. Computer Shopper and PC World Magazines still show this model to be one of the best for it's class and price range. Don't get it. 

You're not alone, I suppose the only option is to try a new printer. UMMPH!

Top Student
vitt
Message 5 of 13 (5,607 Views)

Since buying my HP Photosmart Multifunction printer less than 4 months ago, I have been through about 6 full sets of #564 cartridges, and that's only because I started ignoring the "out of ink" warnings. One cartridge went from full to half after printing the test page to see if the printer was working.  

Thinking that it MUST be the printer, I made a stink and got a replacement printer. Same thing; I print 4 or 5 black and white (normal print settings) pages and all the color cartridges immediately drop their levels. After 100 pages, I'm literally out of ink and get a blank page. 

I would NEVER recommend buying an HP printer again.  My fancy Epson professional printer prints very high quality color images and the ink lasts 4-6 months.

Honor Student
wastedsunsets
Message 6 of 13 (5,582 Views)

same problem here bought a photo pack 1 week ago now all tanks are supposed to be dry after printing only 1 photo useless and expensive piece of crap oh well back to my way cheaper canon for an excellent job ps printer is 309a 

Honor Student
phytodoc
Message 7 of 13 (5,118 Views)

This printer is an ink hog.  Evidently it was engineered to intentionally use us the ink cartriges quickly.  I only got less than 100 draft quality text only pages from my first two cartriges.  I thought the cartriges were only half full but now I know it is the printer. 

Honor Student
machpro
Message 8 of 13 (5,107 Views)

There was an e-mail from hp that reported there was a class action suit settlement in progress, and once could make a claim if you qualified. unfortunately, i did not keep a copy but you might try searching hp class action etc.

Honor Student
lyn1360
Message 9 of 13 (5,101 Views)

I have the C309 which uses the 564 cartridge.  I am totally disgusted.  I cannot afford this machine.  I too, use it very little and it just runs out.  I posted a question on how to make it run with just the one black XL cartridge full, with the others installed but empty.  Am awaiting answer, but I think this model doesn't have that option.

If I can't afford this, although I have had HP for two decades of printers, I will be leaving for good and going to a Kodak model which claims to have little expense for ink.

Anyone have experience with Kodak?  I will be sorry to leave HP, but they have gotten greedy if this machine is any example.  It's a shame  because it is a darn good machine.   HP needs to lower the prices for ink for this ink hog or it's bye-bye for good.  After this experience, I would be afraid to buy another hog.

Honor Student
billjones
Message 10 of 13 (4,669 Views)

I too have a HP C309a and it uses ink faster than my uses fuel, the difference being I use my car every day to travel 70km and I hardly use the printer.  Actually when I do use the printer its mainly to print text document and we have NEVER printed a photo yet replaced the cartridges twice in 3 months.

I think HP have set the printer to do a Head CLean after each use which just squirts the ink out.  I will never recommend an HP product!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation