Question

Honor Student
Derren
Message 1 of 11 (16,547 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart Premium c309a Black prints out green on photo paper / CDs

Got a Photosmart Premium c309a.  Bought in early 2009.  When I print to normal paper, photos print fine but when I print to photo paper, all the blacks print with a green tint.  This is regardless of whether I tell it I'm printing on photo paper or not. When I print to CDs, blacks print blue.  

I have successfully printed on both media previously but recently had this problem.  Colours gradually got worse recently before getting to this stage.

I'm using Windows 7.  Updated the drivers and software but still no joy.  Downloaded latest driver / software for my Mac but same thing for both photos and CDs.

I've done about 5 print head cleans via the HP Toolbox, and replaced the black ink cartridges (both the black and Photo Black).  Currently have over half full for each black cartridge.  Other colours aren't empty yet either.   Also tried rinsing the printhead with water after removing it. 

I've done a diagnostics page.  The Photo Black bar isn't printed at all.  However, further down the page, the photo black ink level indicator prints okay (assuming that's actually using photo black).

Everything else prints fine so I can print documents and pictures so long as it's not on photo paper or CDs.  I bought the printer mainly for the CD printing capabilities.  

Is this weird colour problem a fault with the printhead?  Would replacing it resolve this (anyone tried?)?  A replacement would set me back £26 so wanted to ask first.

Thanks.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 11 (16,513 Views)

Re: Photosmart Premium c309a Black prints out green on photo paper / CDs

[ Edited ]

I would suggest soaking the printhead as described in the post here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Derren
Message 3 of 11 (16,455 Views)

Hi

Just like to say thanks.  This has fixed the problem.

Honor Student
tiggerny68
Message 4 of 11 (16,306 Views)

Thank you for helping with this! I was so close to buying a new printer

Tutor
Lindalee622
Message 5 of 11 (15,564 Views)

How in the world do I remove the printhead from a 6280 printer?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 11 (15,561 Views)

Re: Photosmart C6280 Print Quality

Lindalee622 wrote:

How in the world do I remove the printhead from a 6280 printer?

The Photosmart C6280 is an entirely different design than the Photosmart c309a being discussed in this thread.  The C6280 has a permanant printhead that is not removable.  The page here may help debug print quality issues for the C6280.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
estyblonde
Message 7 of 11 (15,312 Views)

won't it ruin the printert?

Top Student
estyblonde
Message 8 of 11 (15,312 Views)

won't it ruin the printert?

Student
odshagger
Message 9 of 11 (5,661 Views)

Soaking the printheads worked for me..

Top Student
gallivanter
Message 10 of 11 (5,455 Views)

I did as directed here, which is similar to several other post. When I put the print head and cartridge back in the machine and turned it on, the lights did not come on. It did its recyle thing, but did not light up.

Back at the computer, I had an error message that the print head was non-functional. I was directed to take the cartridges out, reset the print head. After this, I still got the same message. 

I let it sit over night, hoping for a miracle. In the morning, still no lights. The control panel on the computer showed the printer as 'ready', compared to last night when it read 'error'.  I tried to send a print job. It just sat there. The one odd thing, was that strange screen that had been popping up was now gone. 

I went out today and bought a new printer. Enough already. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation