Question

Honor Student
AndrewMoffat
Message 1 of 1 (151 Views)

Photosmart Pro B8300 will not print on new computer

I have an HP Photosmart Pro B8350 s/n MY728111C1 bought in 2008 which worked well with my old computer with XP. I now have a new Dell XPS8300 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

When I plugged the printer into the computer I received the usual beep and a message to say it was connected. It installed the Photosmart Pro B8300 series driver that came with the computer. When I send a document (incl. from the 'print test page button) everything seems to work but the printer does not respond. The connection must be OK as the computer recognised it and if I click 'clean the print cartridges' the printer responds, though if on the printer properties device setting tab I try and change from Off to Update now I get an error message saying it could not be completed as a printer communication error occured.

If I watch the 'see whats printing' window the document appears momentarily , says printing and that it is sending it to the 'USB0001 virtual printer port' which is assigned to the printer. I get the bubble message to say the document is printing. However it then disappears and gives the impression it did not reach the printer, or if it did, the printer ignored it!

The driver is for 'HP Photosmart Pro B8300 series', could it be that it does not work with the B8350? The driver is for 64 bit, could the printer need 32 bit? The print processor is hpzppw71. I have tried some of the others. I have checked as best as I can that all the properties and settings are the same as on my old computer. As well as the 'USB0001 virtual printer port' there is a USB0002 port which is not ticked but is shown assigned to the printer. I cannot change that and using it does not make any difference.

Can anyone suggest what is going wrong?

Regards

Andrew Moffat

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation