Question

Tutor
ryan34fan
Message 1 of 43 (15,322 Views)

Pop-Up Status Messages Are REALLY Annoying (Blue Boxes) for C6180

I do not like the update to the latest driver fix for the C6180. I am running this driver on Windows Vista and I CANNOT find anywhere the capability to turn-off these truly annoying blue box pop-up meesages when your printer is not connected or when it is connected. Can anyone help me stop this process from happening or is it a new enhancement that I have to live with -- I am in and out of printing a lot (connected with wireless setup). Or can I just SUGGEST to HP they add this as a choice on the next driver update? I am to the point where I am ready to plug in my cheap EPSON Photoprinter to use as my primary printer becuase of these annoying messages. Thanks, Cheryl
Top Student
NuclearDesigner
Message 2 of 43 (15,273 Views)

Re: Pop-Up Status Messages Are REALLY Annoying (Blue Boxes) for C6180

I have the same problem for my 7680 OfficeJet – I use Vista Pro on my laptop and workstations.  This popup started on the last printer software update in June.  Anybody have a solution for this?  

Mine keeps alerting me to changing connection status on our network.  I am about ready to send this printer to the shredder.  I have always had trouble with HP software and this is just another example of really poor design.

Retired
ThatGarenGuy
Message 3 of 43 (15,247 Views)

HI,

This sounds like it might be HP Product Assistant. It is meant to help troubleshoot problems. 

Go into the Start menu under HP Software and find the HP Product Assistant and run that program. There are instructions there to turn it off. Please turn the application off and let me know if the status "blue box" messages go away.

Thanks,

GarenT

Retired
ThatGarenGuy
Message 4 of 43 (15,245 Views)

Hi,

I have some other suggestions for you to try as well.

Try the following:

This could possibly happen because of low signal strength or interference in wireless medium or firewall program.

There are however few steps which hopefully should address the issue:

·         navigate to control panel administative tools / services

·         search for service "HP Network Devices Support" . Service name is HPSLPSVC

·         Edit this service and set to "manual".

·         Pop up balloons on printer status shouldn’t show up.

Tutor
ryan34fan
Message 5 of 43 (15,217 Views)

I checked the HP Product Assistant as you suggested - this had NOTHING to do with connection messages - only messages for notification purposes for updates, etc. I need to turn-off the CONNECTION status messages (blue box). I will go to your second message and attempt to follow your solution.

Tutor
ryan34fan
Message 6 of 43 (15,217 Views)

The problem I have is not with low signal strength or firewall issues - this is something that occured from HP's last automatic driver update. I looked at this service option HPSLPSVC - it does not diasable current status messages of the printer. This only effects the functionality of whether the printer works or not as it is connected to the network so HP can monitor its status for updating drivers.

I just need to DISABLE current status blue box messages - these are not wanted or needed as far as I am concerned since the printer sits less than 24 inches from me. This blue box is distracting and takes a click to make it go away. CAn HP go back to more user friendly printer information instead of annoying "pretty" unneccessary messages. Yes, I know I have an HP printer, but I don't need to be reminded every single time I am using my computer (which is A LOT).

Please HP - go back to the other way - let me choose whether I want to see any display messages. THANKS

Retired
ThatGarenGuy
Message 7 of 43 (15,157 Views)

Hi,

So HP Product Assistant could be the actual application that is popping these messages. That is its function. Since you havn't mentioned that you didn't try HPPA, I'm assuming that you didn't even go in to that application and turn it off.

Can you please turn off HP Product Assistant. This is not the learning application, nor is it the appliation that allows you access to the scanning and printing functions. It has one purpose and that is to pop messages when it finds error messages.

Thanks

Tutor
ryan34fan
Message 8 of 43 (15,148 Views)

I had done as you suggested and as I implied in my previous response - the problem is NOT an error message that is popping up - it is a STATUS message of whether the printer is connected or not connected. I need to know error messages -- so I am not going to disable the HPPA. What I need to get rid of is those STATUS messages that I have to acknowledge - this only started after the last automatic driver update.

There is a difference between ERROR messages (out of ink, etc.) than those that tell me when I turn my printer on or off....which are EXTREMELY ANNOYING and unwanted......

Student
hpelleri
Message 9 of 43 (14,878 Views)

Since there seems to be a breakdown in communication, I'll comment on my experience. I run Vista and have an HP L7550 and I am also annoyed by the blue "connection status" message. I see them dozens of times each day.

First, I tried updating my preferences in the HP Product assistant. Here are my new settings:
"Notification Preferences" = "Disable Notifications"
"Update Interval Preferences" = "Disable Solution Updates"
 "Logging Preferences" = "Disable Event Logging"
"View of Event Log Preferences" = "Disable View" 

Afterward, I still see the blue pop-up windows. 

Next, I tried setting the HPSLPSVC service to "Manual". After a reboot, I still saw the blue messages. I also noticed that although HPSLPSVC was set to "Manual", it was running. I'm not sure what started the service.

Next, I tried setting the HPSLPSVC service to "Disabled". After a reboot, I still saw the blue messages. I also verified that the HPSLPSVC service was not running.

Any ideas about what to try next? Thanks, in advance.
Top Student
badboy
Message 10 of 43 (14,690 Views)

What's the update with this blue popup? I'm tired of it continually informing me. If i am playing a game it even tries to popup over the top of it. Anything short of deleting the software will not get rid of it. Can HP do an urgent update please to allow the user to turn off or on this feature. I use network magic and that tells me what i need to know so i want to get rid of this popup asap. Please let me know where things are at with HP dealing with this. Adam
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation