Question

Honor Student
talkinggoat
Message 1 of 5 (5,755 Views)

Print to the Edges Color Laserjet 1600

Is there a way I can print to the edges of a letter sized paper, using a color laserjet 1600?
Teacher
CyclingFool
Message 2 of 5 (5,741 Views)

Re: Print to the Edges Color Laserjet 1600

I'm afraid there isn't.  In order to do borderless printing, you need to do overspray, and there needs to be a place for the overspray to go.  Inkjet can successfully do this (we use a little absorber underneath the print area), but, because of the way a laser printer is made, overspray would be pretty nasty, and would kill it.

That said, in a pinch, you could post-process and trim the edges.  That's actually what the big offset print folks do.  

Hope that makes things more clear.

While I do work for HP, anything I say is from me and me alone, and does not reflect the views, opinions, strategies, or favorite ice cream of HP in any way, shape or form.
Honor Student
talkinggoat
Message 3 of 5 (5,737 Views)

If it can't print to the edges, why is the transfer roller larger than the paper? If an exact paper size were given, wouldn't it be possible to print to or very close to the edges?
Teacher
CyclingFool
Message 4 of 5 (5,735 Views)

Well, I could make some guesses, but I'm afraid I'd be guessing, and would rather not wing it.  I work in inkjet land.  In vague terms, it is probably a tolerance stack, meaning that variability of part sizes, etc., limit how close we can get.  There are probably other reasons that I don't know about.  I'll ask someone from LaserJetopia the next time I talk to them.
While I do work for HP, anything I say is from me and me alone, and does not reflect the views, opinions, strategies, or favorite ice cream of HP in any way, shape or form.
Top Student
lbindell
Message 5 of 5 (4,989 Views)

The roller is used to transport the paper.  It does not lay down the print image.  Edge to edge printing is very complex.  It is possible to design, but the technology would make it a very expensive printer.

Thanks.... lbindell

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP. HP does not assume any responsibility or liability for the advice given.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation