Question

Teacher
filgrastin
Message 1 of 3 (2,317 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer Cartridges for HP Photosmart 309a

In purchasing cartridges for the HP 309a, there is a black cartridge that is extra-large which is more economical than buying the smaller cartridge.  My question is:  You can buy separate cartridges for color printing or you can buy the "combo color pack."  Here is my question, would it be more economical to buy the combo pack or should I buy separate color cartridges?  If I buy the combo color pack and one color needs replacing what do I do?  Can I still use the combo color pack and just replace the color cartridge that needs replacing or do I have to replace the entire color combo pack although only one color needs replacing? 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 3 (2,308 Views)

Re: Printer Cartridges for HP Photosmart 309a

The black cartridge that comes with the combo pack is the Photo cartridge (the skinny black one on the left side).  This is not compatible with the text black cartridge (the wide one on the right).  You can replace the individual cartridges as they run out.  (Note that the cartridges do not need to be replaced at the first ink warning, you can continue to print until they show signs of print degradation which may be 2x or more the pages of the first warning.)  See here for more information on the Photo vs. Black issue.  Generally the XL cartridges are the best value.  See here for some details about page yields for the various cartridge options.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Teacher
filgrastin
Message 3 of 3 (2,298 Views)

Re: Printer Cartridges for HP Photosmart 309a

Thank you so much, Bob, for your reply.  It was most helpful and I made copies and put them on my bulletin board for future reference.  Your reply has certainly helped me in knowing which cartridges to select for my printer.  Thanks again and have a nice day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation