Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP printer Photosmart 5520 is off line running under 8.1 windows,    How do I get this printer online????

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Sadly this appears to be a problem with windows 8.1 and hp printers. Everytime I want to print something, I have to spend a n hour downloading and reinstalling driver software - I haven't found this forum helpful at all for this problem. Come on HP, there must be a proper solution to this problem??

HP Recommended

Hello

I understand the printer keeps going offline.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector)
How is the printer connected? (USB/ethernet/wireless)

Is the printer not waking up from sleep mode and showing offline?

USB connection and printer is showing offline?

Please be more specific of your issue.

If you are on a network and the printer is going offline then follow the document for Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection. Shows you how to setup the printer and a static IP address.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03250740

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response....my printer is used on a wireless network. The problem is that it shows as 'offline' on HP Control Centre and similarly when attempting to print. The printer fails to wake or register at all. When I last downloaded software, the printer drivers were recognised rather than the printer and I could see no way of changing it (default printer or add new printer tried without success). Anyway, I've given up on HP Control Centre but am willing to retry if a solution is available....

HP Recommended

Hi nimac

Check the IP address for the printer. Go to setup, wireless, display network configuration.

If you have a valid ip address for the printer try and access the embedded web server. Type the ip address into internet explorer address bar.

If it loads the printer's network page then the printer is on the network.

Power cycle the computer, printer and router.

Try printing again.

I have included a document for the printer showing offline. Run the Print and Scan Doctor. Follow the other steps and provide me with the results please.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02221706

Setup a static IP for the printer. From the document provided before, follow Solution two: Assign the printer a static IP address.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03250740

Let me know if that helps.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Sadly neither solution has resolved the problem of my printer showing offline. It was never a problem before the windows 8.1 update so I'd hazard a guess to say there's a possible compatability issue? Especially as lots of other users appear to have similar difficulties?

Incidentally, the Print & Scan doctor contimues to recognise the class driver but not the network printer; I can however print directly from MS Word.

Any other suggestions? Otherwise my new HP Printer just isn't fit for purpose....

HP Recommended

HI nimac

The class driver is the preinstalled Windows driver.

We want the Photosmart Full Feature Software driver installed.

Delete the class driver.

Here are the drivers for the printer.

Download and run the software installation.

Win 8.1 64 bit driver.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-108807-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Win 8.1 32 bit driver.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-108807-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

After the installation check the name of the printer installed to make sure it correctly installed.

Let me know if it was successful.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Nope, still no joy even with this software (64 bit) downloaded.....works for some programmes but not others. Print & scan doctor says there's no problem

HP Recommended

HI nimac

Now the printer is printing from some applications.

What error do you get when trying to print from the application?

Is the printer icon showing the printer name instead of class now?

How far is the printer from the router?
Do you have any firewalls running or antivirus software?
Temporarily turn them off.

What applications aren't printing?

Run a virus scan?

Try printing again to see if it makes a difference.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I don't know what's more annoying, the fact the printer constanly goes off line or a response from HP to check the cables.  I think by now HP should fix the problem or say...This printer isn' t compatable with Windows 8 or 8.1.   And that's both  USB or wireless.   

Before HP enters 3D printing, let's put some resources on having the products they sell work with  8.1

I know.. not nice,  but this is a known problem so stop responding in a way that makes us think a server scanned the note and pulled out a generic  response  to "printer goes off line" 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.