Question

Student
NM_Printhappy
Message 1 of 5 (3,455 Views)

Printer Not Working After Update

[ Edited ]

I saw an auto update from HP that popped up and stated it was to correct current reading errors in the hp printer from the computer?  I NEVER update my printer hardly ever because I KNOW that HP has a reputation for messing up with messages about ink etc.  BUT, I went ahead with this one, just in case!  NOW my printer won't print anything from my laptop, and I am so pissed because I was in the middle of a printing project and my printer was working JUST fine until I did the update!  I swear, I will now have to go buy a NEW FRICKING PRINTER when it was working perfect a few minutes ago!!! GUESS WHAT, I will never by HP printers again!!!!  I have the HP Photo Smart Plus, and it is wireless, and it is about two years old, got it in around 2009.  It always says it's out of ink but yet continues to print just fine for several months over when it says I should replace the ink.  Hmmmmmmm.  Now this!!!!!   What am I supposed to do???  HP isn't going to answer this.  Looks like they set up this conversation to just get FEEDBACK from the public?   I don't have the time to wait for a response from the public or to try and call someone at some odd number and wait on the hold for two hours.  My job is in two hours and I needed my work printed before I went..     I     AM   PISSSSSED!!!!!  How can I ever TRUST  HP again!!!!!!  I could never do an UPDATE with you eVER!!!!!   YOU CRASHED MY PRINTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Did I mention how mad I am?????   I am going to tell the world about this!!!  You know why??? You don't care, and you will just ignor this!!!!!   Norine Mungo

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (3,424 Views)

Re: Printer Not Working After Update

[ Edited ]

Running the diagnostics at http://www.hp.com/go/tools may help resolve the issue.

In the future please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? What operating system? Are there any error messages on the printer or computer screen?

Please be aware that this forum is a peer to peer support forum, it is not a direct link to HP support.  Likely if you had called HP your issue could have been resolved in one phone call....

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
harlem5
Message 3 of 5 (3,395 Views)

I am having the same problem.  When I try to print I get a message saying "no printer is installed" .  the icon for my printer still appears.  The printer is an XP officejet Pro L7590 all in one.  The operating system isn XP service pack 3.  It is connected via USB. 

Student
Noob98
Message 4 of 5 (3,334 Views)

I have same issue.  Windows XP/SP3 with a Color LaserJet 2840.  I can use browser to interface with embedded web service and all control panel print commands produce reports.  When I try to print from windows (IE, Word, notepad, etc) the dialog immediately says the file failed to print without any indication as to why.  I downloaded the Diagnostic utility but it does not detect the printer at all.  I will uninstall everything and try again.

Another significant note:  Since the update, when I insert the HP install CD, it won't continue running past the splash screen.  Same with the updated download; splash the printer family picture, then it dies.  It was working for months prior.  Because of similar hazards, I am especially careful which Microsoft updates are installed.

I suppose now I'll need to create a restore point before any updates, whatsoever.  Maybe it's time to switch to Mac.

Student
littlekat
Message 5 of 5 (314 Views)

After long months of fighting with my HP Envy 4500 showing offline, many temporary fixes and bouts of anger and frustration, including letting HP take my pc over and do it, I finally have it back online.  I went to HP and downloaded the most recent new driver, the install wizards for driver and printer and troubleshooter. I then followed the directions to install them, this took about an hour. The installation wizard could not install the printer. I ran the troubleshooters and they could not help, either.  I believe this is because the driver was not properly installed by the install wizard or perhaps because windows firewall was having fun stopping the communications between printer and pc. I went into windows firewall and added hp content that was not previously allowed. GRRR...it still showed offline. So I then went to devices and printers (in the control panel), to "add a printer", and had it find my printer again. Windows then found the driver and installed it before installing the printer. I am happy to say I am back online!  I wish I could tell you that I know what did it, but whichever step it was that I tried, finally worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation