Printer Paper Jam (105000 Views)
Top Student
jennyy
Message 1 of 83 (105,000 Views)

Printer Paper Jam

There is nothing in my printer at all but it keeps saying paper jam. I don't know what else to do to make it work. Any suggestions for resetting it or something?
Teacher
CyclingFool
Message 2 of 83 (104,977 Views)

Re: Printer Paper Jam

What kind of printer is it?  If you remove the rear cleanout, can you see straight through the paper path?

Regards, CF

While I do work for HP, anything I say is from me and me alone, and does not reflect the views, opinions, strategies, or favorite ice cream of HP in any way, shape or form.
Honor Student
mentormatt8
Message 3 of 83 (104,923 Views)

Jenyy, One clue that I have is that your problem is persistent. Does it appear after you print one page? Can you not print at all? What is the age of the printer. How much have you been using it lately?  One possibility that you can easily try is to clean the rollers. That is what I did and it really helped. See for yourself here: persistent printer paper jam and let us know what happened either way.
Teacher
kevin_techno
Message 4 of 83 (103,206 Views)

[ Edited ]

The paper used for printing should not be wet, torn or folded from any side as this can cause paper jam, hence resulting in carriage jam. Also, use only one type of paper at a time while printing. The paper should be added to the In-tray only when the printer is not in use. Make sure not to overfill the In-tray. get more help for [Text removed. Hope this helps you.

Honor Student
siobhanwf
Message 5 of 83 (103,137 Views)

I too am have the same problem. PAPER JAM message . have checked everything and there is no paper jammed. Printer is a Officejet J4680 all in one. Printer is reasonably new and only 1 year old

Teacher
CyclingFool
Message 6 of 83 (103,107 Views)

The paper jam message occurs when the paper sensor flag is tripped, but the printer thinks there should be no paper. The obvious and normal case is that the paper has tripped the flag. Otherwise, it means that the flag is stuck for some reason. Either there is a foreign object in the printer, or the flag is hung up on something. The flag is a little plastic finger that sticks into the paper path about 1/2 inch rearward of the pinch point where the printing happens. I will try to find a unit like yours so I can tell you where the flag would be left to right, but I won't be near such a unit until Tuesday. Regards, CF
While I do work for HP, anything I say is from me and me alone, and does not reflect the views, opinions, strategies, or favorite ice cream of HP in any way, shape or form.
Student
WilliamDavis1
Message 7 of 83 (100,518 Views)

[ Edited ]

The paper jam message take place then only when the paper sensor flag is tripped although the printer thinks there should be no paper. The evident reason is that the paper has tripped the flag.

Honor Student
jateach
Message 8 of 83 (98,144 Views)

I am having the same problem ("paper jam" message with no paper jam) with a Photosmart Plus B209a printer.  Does anyone have a solution?

Honor Student
Ams33
Message 9 of 83 (91,805 Views)

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier.  I was copying a few sheets automatically when I ran out of paper on the last page to be copied.  When I loaded the printer with paper the sheet jammed.  I removed the rear cleanout and tried to remove the sheet, but it tore off and a small portion is stuck in the printer.  I can see it from the front and can grab it with tweezers, but it will not come out.  Is there anyway to clear this paper jam?

Teacher
CyclingFool
Message 10 of 83 (91,770 Views)

I have two suggestions:

One: yank and pull on the paper for all you are worth.  As long as you aren't stabbing other parts of your printer, you won't be damaging it by yanking paper.

Two: Pull the plug, then plug it in again.  Because you put the printer into an unknown state, it will go through a sequence which will likely spit out the paper chunk.

I hope this works!

CF

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation