Question

Honor Student
Lkai
Message 1 of 5 (5,136 Views)

Printer driver keeps disappearing

I have an Officejet J5780 and frequently when I begin to print I find that my printer is no longer installed.  I have to reinstall the driver again and again.  Sometimes the printer will show as installed but with a printer error.  I then need to install the driver again as a new printer and make the new installation the default printer.  I am running on the vista operating system.  Thanks for any guidance.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (5,125 Views)

Re: Printer driver keeps disappearing

So you have multiple instances of the printer in the Printers folder? If so I would suggest disconnecting the USB cable and run level 3 of the uninstaller from HP's website here.  Once this has completed (and a reboot may be required) reinstall the driver from the original CD or download from HP here.

I would also suggest you download and run the HP Printer Diagnostic Utility from HP's site here.  

Regards,

Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
Luts_tech
Message 3 of 5 (5,076 Views)

check for critical update for unexpected uninstall in hp.com for your printer and i will suggest call hp, they can help you with your problem.

by the way if you don't want to call hp after complete installation try disabling the hp cue device discovery in services.mscn (run=>services.msc)

then try restarting pc..

Honor Student
Lkai
Message 4 of 5 (4,959 Views)

I think the uninstaller actually did the trick!  Thank you both so much for your help. I was about to take a sledgehammer to it before I found this forum.
Teacher
kevin_techno
Message 5 of 5 (3,314 Views)

Sounds like your windows is having a problem remembering that you have installed the correct printer driver.

What anti-virus program are you using? Have you tried using a different one? Have you tried using Ad-Aware for spyware/malware (anti-virus programs will not get rid of spyware/malware!).

If after trying all of this you are still having this problem, try reinstalling your windows (After backing up all your important personal files & wiping the hd). If you are not comfortable with this, find a tech and have them do it. That will most definitely solve your problem...  get more information about printer driver problems . Hope this helps you.

Good Luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation