Question

Honor Student
MsVinni
Message 1 of 10 (10,605 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer has stopped printing

I'm getting a "Spooler Subsystem App" has stopped working message. How do I fix this problem on a J5780 All-in-One?
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 10 (10,537 Views)

Re: Printer has stopped printing

If you are using Windows XP see the Microsoft Knowledgebase Article here.

If you have a different operating system please leave more details.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
MsVinni
Message 3 of 10 (10,472 Views)

Bob,

I have a PC, with Vista as the operating system. I was trying to print out a powerpoint presentation when I encountered the  "Spooler Subsytem App has stopped working" I have no idea what else to try.. I've recently uninstalled and reinstalled everything that has to do with HP and the problem still exists.

Thanx for your help
Top Student
hpwaive6
Message 4 of 10 (10,173 Views)

1. Go to Programs and Features in Control panel > click Turn Windows features on or off

2. click + sign of Print services

3. Select LPD and LPR. You should remove Internet Printing Client. > restart your PC to ensure there is no error of spooler service.

4. Add your printer driver again.

Student
Larry_Madeo
Message 5 of 10 (10,014 Views)

My computer will not produce a document on my printer.  The computer is a Dell Optiplex 620.  The printer is an HP Laserjet 1022nw connected via USB.  The operating system is Windows XP Professional SP3.  I bought both the computer and the printer in the summer of 2005.  HP replaced the printer the same year because of a malfunction with a button.

Each year my wife and I attempt to print our Christmas card envelopes on the printer.  We don’t succeed because the addresses are printed off-center.  This year I thought I would download the latest version of the printer driver and hope it would solve the problem printing odd-sized envelopes.

I searched on Google for print drivers for the 1022nw.  I downloaded the HP laserjet host based print driver package from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodNameId=439433&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=439424&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228.  The file, lj1020_1022-HB-pd-win32-en.exe, is a self extracting file with a size of 5266KB according to Windows Explorer and 5,391,744 according to the properties screen.  I ran the program resulting in two files, lj1020_1022-HB-pd-win32-enp.exe and lj1020_1022-HB-pd-win32-enp.exe.manifest.  Their sizes are 5,467,104 and 357 bytes, respectively according two their properties screens.  I ran the executable.  In reviewing, I think I may have made a wrong choice in choosing ther host-based rather than the plug’n’play version.

As a result, I found that when I tried to print, I got a “Spooler Subsystem App has encountered an error and needs to close” error message.  After another Google search, I found Microsoft Knowledge entry 810894 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810894.  I did most of what was outlined there.  In the third step of the resolution, I did not remove all the registry entries as described.  The only one I removed was the 1022nw entry.  I was able to reinstall the 1022nw [without any intervention on my part to provide the driver].

I no longer get the “Spooler Subsystem” error.  The print spooler service is running. My application programs, such as browsers and word processors, are able to send output to the printer.  Unfortunately, any output I send is immediately deleted.  I have observed this by having the print queue window open and visible when I send output to the printer from an application.  The first thing I see is the output bring deleted.

Here is some additional information from my attempts to solve the problem. 

I can get to the printer properties page.  On the Advanced tab I tried top change the spooling option from spool-print immediately to print directly to printer.  It failed.  The message was “Printer settings could not be saved.  Operation could not be completed.”  I tried using IE7 to access the embedded web server; I was unsuccessful.  Neither the change to spooling or accessing the embedded web server are things I had previously tried.  I, therefore, don’t know whether they worked before my current problems.

I can get a printer test page as well as a configuration page using the “go” button.

I have tried to print a test page from within windows.  It didn’t print.  I’ve gone through the steps of trouble shooting without finding/solving the problem.
Honor Student
MsVinni
Message 6 of 10 (9,947 Views)

Thanx Larry for your suggestions. Will try..
Student
gibby
Message 7 of 10 (9,717 Views)

had the same problem printing from a Vista laptop to a XP desktop using a wireless connection.

Finally went into windows firewall and turned on, then under exemptions added a ck mark to all boxes for my HP printer.

There were about 4 .exe files for the printer, after that all is well and printer works, no longer getting spooler subsystem error on the desktop that has printer installed.

Honor Student
MsVinni
Message 8 of 10 (9,661 Views)

Thanx Gibby,

Your's was the easiest yet.. Crossing my fingers..

V.
Student
RescueFoot
Message 9 of 10 (8,309 Views)

Gibby,

Thank you for the information about the firewall.  That fixed my problem.  I have been struggling with this problem for a couple of months now and was getting tired of it.  My problem happened only when I was printing PDF's.  I have tried many other solultions, but yours is the first to work.

However did you associate this problem with the firewall.

Thanks again.

Student
plaven425
Message 10 of 10 (3,114 Views)

My printer geves the message "printing stopped" with a red exclamation point.  What can  I do

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation