Question

Top Student
DonaD
Message 1 of 5 (926 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer is too old for Windows 7

I just got a new 64 bit Windows 7 laptop. I have an old Deskjet 682c that is connected to an upgraded Windows 95 computer. Both work just fine and I don't feel like moving equipment and furniture right now or learning a new printer. I am learning too much already.The printer prints .prn files just fine too but the new laptop will not accept the Deskjet 682c driver. I need a driver to load into the laptop that will generate .prn files that my printer will recognize and print. The printouts don't have to look beautiful but should be readable. Anybody have a solution?

Top Student
DonaD
Message 2 of 5 (861 Views)

Re: Printer is too old for Windows 7

I came back to see if anyone had ideas. I saw a post by Norm51 on October 15 that said he was looking for a driver for a DeskJet 600c.  He responded to himself that he had used Windows Update in the Add Printer box to find his driver. I hadn't tried Windows Update because I figured it would only find drivers for brand new printers. My DeskJet 682c was guaranteed to not be found because it needs a parallel port.  That is why I wanted to find a driver to Print to File and create .prn files. I can put them on a flash drive and take them over to my old computer and printer and print them. I tried Windows Update and found drivers for the Deskjet 660C and the Deskjet 690C.  I installed the driver for the 690C and the download took a while. Then I installed the driver for the 660C and it took 1 sec. Looks like they are both the same. I printed a document to File with both "printers" and my old deskjet printed each file beautifully. That is the best I could ask for.

Problem Solved!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 5 (858 Views)

There is one more step that could make life a bit easier if the Windows 95 machine is on your network.  Share the printer on the Windows 95 machine.  On the Windows 7 machine go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a Port, Local Port, \\Computername\Printername (use the actual share name for the computer and printer), OK, then select the HP Deskjet 660 driver.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
DonaD
Message 4 of 5 (824 Views)

Hi,

I never had my old computer or printer on the internet or a network so this advice isn't useful to me. For most people with an old printer the hard to solve problem isn't getting a file to the printer. They can use a USB to Parallel port connector even if the new computer doesn't have a parallel port. They can hand carry the file on a flash drive like I want to. I don't even want to connect my laptop directly to a printer. Or they can use a network like you suggest. 

The problem is creating a file that the old printer can print. This goes way beyond font compatibility. Because I want to transfer files from one computer to another, I thought I would just put them on a flash drive and open and print them from my old computer. But none of the files created on one computer are compatible with the other computer. Word sure isn't!  Html files copied on the new computer are from an IE too new for the IE on my old computer. One Note degrades everything. Printing to XPS creates a document that my old computer does not know. And so on. So I need to create files on the new computer that the old computer can open and the old printer can print.

Now the problem is getting a driver for the old printer installed on the new (Windows 7) computer. You can't download the driver from the HP site. I tried transferring the files of my driver from the floppy discs to a USB drive but Add Printer on my new computer would not load them. None of the drivers listed in Add Printer would work. I thought the Windows Update button in Add Printer  was only for new printers but found out on this board that old printers were on it. Even then my driver is not there.

Three cheers for DOS!  If I can Print to File with a compatible driver, then I can take those .prn files to my old computer and print them. It is possible that if my old printer were connected to my new computer, I could use the Windows 7 DOS Window to print directly to the printer.  My original printer manual even recommended printer drivers for various DOS programs. At least one of them is listed in the Windows Update. I have only tried it once with an XPS document but it printed beautifully. I guess that the best way to avoid problems will be to print to the XPS "printer" and then print the XPS document to file. I expect that that will result in the least degradation and the fewest incompatibilities.

Right now my old printer stays right where it is. All of my existing files will only work on the old computer.  I have got a lot of learning to do on this one before I even think of getting a new printer.

I hope people who have old printers can learn a few lines of DOS. It is not that hard. A more knowledgeable person than me has to describe it and the correct location to put the file depends on what is automatically in the DOS Window.

Hint, Hint 

Top Student
DonaD
Message 5 of 5 (776 Views)

Like a glutton for punishment, I tried it. I created a pc to pc LAN between  the Windows 7 computer and the Windows ME computer (upgraded from 95) and it finally partly worked!  I can print to my 682c from the Windows 7 computer without using DOS.  I put the HP 660c driver on both computers and it is printing fine. I didn't have to create a port. My attempts to create a network with the 2 computers Network Wizards had already put the address of the printer in a dropdown menu for the local port box and I just selected it.

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation