Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Photosmart Premium c309a series.  Every time I try to print (anything - web pages, word files etc), or copy, the printer defaults to the photo tray and gives the error,  "Load paper into tray".  The letter sized paper tray is full. The print options are on letter sized paper.

I've updated all drivers, and tried this BOTH on my HP laptop with Windows 7 64b  and my dad's dell Windows xp 32 b.  Using both computers - we get the same error.

I've tried resetting paper trays everything.

Please can someone help?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi mlbelgard,

Please click on start menu on your computer>> click on devices and printers (windows 7) printers and faxes (XP). You will be able to see the printer icon. Right click on the icon and select "printing preferences" and select "features tab". Select the "paper source as tray 1" on which the letter papers are placed and change the "paper type as plain paper" and "paper size as letter 8.5 X11in."  and then click on apply and ok button and try and print and check the result.

For copy you need to follow these steps on the printer:

Press the Setup Menu on the printer>> Preferences>>Device-Printer Tray Select>>Main Tray.

Try and make a copy and print and check the result
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Click on Kudos if the steps helps you
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself.

HP Recommended

My HP 309 repeatedly defaults to the photo tray.  I go into the printer area and keep resetting it back to plain paper and correct size....but it keeps going back to the photo default.

any ideas why?  thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @drodavis,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! Smiley Happy I see your HP Photosmart C309a keeps defaulting to the photo tray as opposed to the main tray, you went in and changed the default tray back to the main tray but it still pulls from the photo tray.

I want to make sure when you are selecting the main tray you are changing the settings for ALL print jobs and not just a single job. If you are changing the settings for a single print job this would be why it keeps defaulting back to the photo tray. Take a look below to get started and change the print settings for ALL jobs:

Changing the Print Settings in Windows

I hope this helps!

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have the same issue with a C309A. The above steps have not corrected the problem. Any further thoughts?

HP Recommended

@KennedySpaceCnt

Welcome to the HP Forums      

I saw your post on HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One Printer - C309a is defaulting to photo paper tray. I am happy to help you with this issue!

1. Reset the product.
  2. Right click on the printer icon and select "printing preferences.
  3. Select "features tab". Select the "paper source as tray 1".
  4. Change the "paper type as plain paper and "paper size as letter 8.5 X11.
  5. Then click on apply and ok button and try and print.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community.

Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.

If you wish to say "thanks" for my efforts, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had performed all the tasks with no luck until I Updated Paper type to Plain Paper. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@KennedySpaceCnt

Thanks for the super quick reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

You are simply awesome. Kudos to you.

This seems to be a hardware issue.

Please contact HP phone support for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Worked for a period of time. When I returned from out of town the same problem, defaulting to Print Photos. Not certain what's wrong, but reliability a big issue. I will need to get a new printer.

HP Recommended

Hi @KennedySpaceCnt,

I reviewed the post. Great troubleshooting and diagnosis of the issue. Kudos to you for that. It is always a privilege to work with tech-savvy customers link you. 🙂

As stated earlier, it looks like a hardware issue with the printer. Please contact HP phone support to get the printer replaced or serviced. If the unit is under warranty, then the manufacturer's warranty should take cafe or replacements or services for the printer.

Link for HP phone support: http://hp.com/contacthp Please select the country and type the product# of the unit. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

If you decide to go for a new printer, then please look up this link: http://store.hp.com and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.