Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

@seri wrote:

Hmmm how do i Stop the test page thing? My printer does it too. its the deskjet f2400 uses ink 60 and everytime i change the cartage it print like 5 tests pages. one each time i turn it on

The page is an alignment page, it will likely continue to print until you complete the alignment.  After the page prints load it into the scanner as described in this document.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@seri wrote:

Hmmm how do i Stop the test page thing? My printer does it too. its the deskjet f2400 uses ink 60 and everytime i change the cartage it print like 5 tests pages. one each time i turn it on

The page is an alignment page, it will likely continue to print until you complete the alignment.  After the page prints load it into the scanner as described in this document.  Once the alignment completes the page will not print again until the cartridges are changed.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I live in a place where power goes several times per day and every time it comes my printer made a new test copy and i cannot afford the cartridges

Some years ago i had the same problem in UK and i spoke with someone from HP who told me to press some buttons and afterwards the problem stopped but I forgot which buttons to press. Can someone tell us which are them?

HP Recommended

Mat be this is helpful

Go to Printer menu then click Estimated Ink Levels may be this could be different on yours then device services,click align cartiges then Align ink cartiges tab will open There you would see two option Print alignment page or I alreay have a printed alignment page ,Well i have lots of aligned page as my printer prints evrytime i switch it on,If you have a printed aligned page then scan the page ,Hope this help 

HP Recommended

Hi! part-solution can be, also for example machine hp f 2180, turn printer on only when it is disconnected with computer (i suppose via usb cable); after it it is possible to connect both and for "this turning on of printer" is this solved.:))

https://www.accountkiller.com/removal-requested
HP Recommended

I cannot get my printer to work. It stopped printing.

HP Recommended

For those of you fighting this problem - give it up.  I'm typing this in January of 2013 and, as you can read for yourself, this problem has been around for a very long time.  HP has done nothing to fix it.  As long as they can keep selling us more expensive ink cartridges, why would they bother?  I called HP tech support today to try to shame them into offering a solution, but being as I've had this printer for over 3 years, they won't do a thing unless you pay them first (not that I expect it would help anyway).  You'd think a reputable company would accept responsibility for this problem and come up with a FREE fix.  After all, it wouldn't be that hard to write a program patch for this problem.  Because HP hasn't bothered to do so, I'm forced to conclude that this is a deliberate issue.  I'm seriously considering invoicing HP for all my wasted ink cartridges or for all the added electricity I use leaving the printer on full-time to keep it from printing endless test pages. That, by the way. IS the only real solution for the C3100 printer so far.  Will I buy another HP product in the future?  Absolutely not - at least not until this problem is corrected.   

HP Recommended

@jskrepak wrote:

For those of you fighting this problem - give it up.  I'm typing this in January of 2013 and, as you can read for yourself, this problem has been around for a very long time.  HP has done nothing to fix it. [snip]  IS the only real solution for the C3100 printer so far.  Will I buy another HP product in the future?  Absolutely not - at least not until this problem is corrected.   

As mentioned multiple times before in this thread, the page that is printing is an alignment page.  The alignment page will be printed when a cartridge is changed, and will not print again once the alignment is completed until the next cartridge change.  You do not mention which of the C3100 series printes you have, but the document here may help resolve your issue.

For some printer models the alignment is automatic, other models require the printed page to be placed on the scanner and the scan button pressed to complete the alignment.  

Both the black and color (typically cyan or yellow depenfding on the printer model) must be working for the alignment to complete.  

If your printer has an automatic alignment that is failing then cleaning the underside of the automatic sensor with a moistened Q-tip may help resolve the issue.  The sensor is typically a black bulge about 1/2" wide and 1" deep located on the right side and at the rear part of the carriage. 

If you need more help please post details of the printer model you have and if possible post a scan of the alignment page or describe what is printed on the alignment page. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Solution for C3100:  It is easy, I just explain a lot.

-Remove all paper from the printer

-Open drawer and wait for printer cartridges to move to the right.

-Unplug printer

-Remove both cartridges

-Gently wipe the little black nub behind where each of the cartridges just were,and the top that holds the cartridge into place.  Make sure you didn't get any shreds of tissue on it.  The first time I got it to work, I just used my finger.

-Put back in both cartridges

-Hold in the power button for 5 seconds (while it is unplugged).

-Plug in printer, but don't turn it on.

-Place one of your printed alignment sheets face down on the scanner, with the bird / multi-colored portion on the left.

-Press the power button and immediately push and hold for 1 second the "Start Scan / Reprints" button and then frantically press it to make sure it has registered. The scanning light should now come on and it should not print anything.  If the power button isn't flashing, it worked and you can now put in your paper.

The theory here is that when the printer first turns on, it is returning to the home position (the ink cartridge mover has to move back, and during that time, it can't print... which allows you a brief glorious moment to hit the start scan button to allow for an alignment.)

This might work for other printers too. Give it a try.

Source:

I'm an IT professional and engineer who has personally struggled with this stupid printer for years.  I, too, had resorted to leaving the printer on 24/7 for the past three years. (eek wasted electricity.. but it was better than printing color pages every day.)

I decided to solve this problem once and for all.

[Content Removed]

HP Recommended

thanks everyone, my printer has been doing this for a couple of years and my daughter suggested I google it. I did what you suggested by scanning the page and it worked. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.