Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am having the same trouble since I changed a cartridge too. I have tried BOTH suggestions, to no avail. I've wasted SO much ink, I'm going to need a new cartridge very soon.

HP Recommended

Well I have re-tried the advice of scanning the sheet, and swichting off and on. I then printed something...and think it MAY be fixed, thank you.

HP Recommended

"Sorry about that Schmart !!  Ve Haf Vays Off Selling You Ink !!.."..

No really it works for Me !!  Turn it on and hold the red X down for about 5 seconds and WALAH No test page ...Good luck !!!

Parti..

HP Recommended

Keep in mind printers are so cheap in order to sell expensive cartridges.

I tried all that stuff. We were able to get it to work for several pages we were printing if we took the cartridges out and wiped them off, then unplugged and plugged the machine back in to break the electronic cycle of cartridge alignment repetition, and sometimes would be able to use the off on button. However, most often at that point the off/on button would not work while in the cycle. 

I talked with a very informed tech guy at Staples who gave me the lowdown on dependability and cartridge cost. The winners were new Brothers and Epsons. Ask around. 

George

HP Recommended

Good one George ..I am an Old Age Pensioner, and I would rather pay a heap of Wampum for a printer and get the Ink for 10 bucks thanks !! .. Half the time now I schtik in on a schtik ,give it to Whoever  to read ,delete,  and they give the stick back ..like a relay Race !!.. I dont know where You live but Ink is $46  for 61+61 here in Australia, and lasts about as long as it takes to eat a Peanut Butter Sandwich !!...Thanks ..

Parti...

HP Recommended

My printer has always worked with no problem. When I turn it on it prints just fine. Suddenly, within the last months it prints a  test page immediately, though I have NOT put in a new cartridge. The model is C3100, so should not have to do an alighnmen.....?? What do I do? It wastes paper and ink when this  happens, and I don' like to keep the printer on all the time, as it wastes energy...Pat

HP Recommended

Where is the answer to my query? I am disgusted as I have been waiting for over a month. Next time I'll buy from another supplier..

HP Recommended

@3031frustrated wrote:

My printer has always worked with no problem. When I turn it on it prints just fine. Suddenly, within the last months it prints a  test page immediately, though I have NOT put in a new cartridge. The model is C3100, so should not have to do an alighnmen.....?? What do I do? It wastes paper and ink when this  happens, and I don' like to keep the printer on all the time, as it wastes energy...Pat

The document here may help resolve issues with your Photosmart c3100 printing an alignment page.

Please be aware that this forum is a peer to peer support forum, it is not a direct link to HP support.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Try some cheap remanufactured cartridges. None of the solutions on this board worked on my C3180. I tried for over a year. I finally bought four (2 color and 2 black) cartridges online for a total of $13.99, shipping included, and the constant test page printing stopped. At the very least, you won't be spending nearly as much as you did on the HP cartridges.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem out of the blue with our HP3100.  I tried the tip about scanning the test page but the problem continued. Then since you noted that the problem only seems to occur when changing one of the cartridge, I changed the color cartridge too, turned power on/off, scanned the new test page, did a rain dance, uttered a mantra and it seems to have solve the problem.  Thanks to those who helped with this problem.  I'm new to this forum...question: why aren't the experts from HP helping with these problems??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.