Printer problem- on new cartridge- repeats alignment test and later repeats documents (21564 Views)
Honor Student
Lawyer51
Message 1 of 25 (21,564 Views)

Printer problem- on new cartridge- repeats alignment test and later repeats documents

[ Edited ]

I replaced the black ink cartridge on my HP PSC 1410 All IN ONE.  Often it then repeats the alignment test each time, I turn it on.  The second problem is that when I print a document and indicate ONE copy, it continues printing multiple copies.  Do you know why it does these things or how they can be corrected?

I have had this problem a couple of years now and wasted a lot of ink and paper.  Is there some kind soul who knows the solutions?

[text removed for privacy]

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 25 (21,585 Views)

Re: Printer problem- on new cartridge- repeats alignment test and later repeats documents

The PSC 1410 will print an alignment page after a new cartrdige is installed.  If the alignment is not completed the printer will continue to print alignment pages.  To complete the alignment place the alignment page on the scanner aligned to the lower left corner and press the scan button as described here.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
NFerrier
Message 3 of 25 (20,319 Views)

Re: Printer problem- on new cartridge- repeats alignment test and later repeats documents

I have the same problem on an HP PSC 1350 -- and yes, I do follow the instructions (print test page, place paper, scan).  The problem just started after a recent update (I've had this particular PSC for years -- I own 3 different ones, this is the first occurence of this problem).

Even after scanning, clicking "done", the device requests an alignment every time I start up.

Your response appears to assume that the instructions have not been followed.  How about some advice when the instructions have been correctly followed (over a dozen times!).

Thanks.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 25 (20,297 Views)

NFerrier wrote:

I have the same problem on an HP PSC 1350 -- and yes, I do follow the instructions (print test page, place paper, scan).  The problem just started after a recent update (I've had this particular PSC for years -- I own 3 different ones, this is the first occurence of this problem).

Even after scanning, clicking "done", the device requests an alignment every time I start up. [snip]

The alignment will fail if either the black cartridge or the yellow portion of the color cartridge do not print correctly.  Is your color cartridge printing properly? Updates to the computer should not make a difference, the alignment will complete even if the printer is not connected to the computer if the alignment page is properly printed and loaded.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

Top Student
secretsquirrel
Message 5 of 25 (19,774 Views)

I have the same problem with my HP psc 1315.  Note:  I am only using a black cartridge - 'Print in greyscale/Black cartridge only.'  The problem has persisted over four months, despite numerous alignments and having changed the cartridge twice.  The printing seems to be fine - no problems there.  The error message reads  'Pen Alignment Failed due to an incorrect page being in the Scanner.  To retry the pen alignment, click on the "Align" button.'  Although clearly not a show stopper, the message, which comes up repeatedly during printing, is becoming increasingly irritating.

Can anyone rid me of this troublesome message?!

Top Student
MasySyma
Message 6 of 25 (19,767 Views)

Hello,

Some of this sounds similar to my "ghost in the machine" issues with my Photosmart C4795.  The problems started after I aligned a color cartridge.  Now, despite a de-install/reinstall, the alignment process can't be completed.  The printer prints fine, but it won't scan the alignment page. 

This is definitely not a case of operator error with so many of us having similar issues.

Top Student
secretsquirrel
Message 7 of 25 (19,728 Views)

MasySyma,

Thank you for adding a different slant on this.  I am beginning to wonder if HP have put something new into their cartridges.  I have owned two psc 1315 all-in-ones for six years and it is only recently that this has been happening.  As you say, definitely not operator error as I have done the HP approved sequence over and over again.  HP - I think this is a problem that only you can fix!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 25 (19,723 Views)

secretsquirrel wrote:

I have the same problem with my HP psc 1315.  Note:  I am only using a black cartridge - 'Print in greyscale/Black cartridge only.'  The problem has persisted over four months, despite numerous alignments and having changed the cartridge twice.  The printing seems to be fine - no problems there.  The error message reads  'Pen Alignment Failed due to an incorrect page being in the Scanner.  To retry the pen alignment, click on the "Align" button.'  Although clearly not a show stopper, the message, which comes up repeatedly during printing, is becoming increasingly irritating.

Can anyone rid me of this troublesome message?!

As mentioned previously a successful alignment requires both cartridges to be present and working, the alignment process requires both black and color.

Top Student
secretsquirrel
Message 9 of 25 (19,711 Views)

Bob,

Thanks for your swift response.

I have not used my color cartridge since it ran out for the first time - probably four years ago.  Since then I have only used black ink in this printer and never had an alignment problem until Fall of last year.  Just before Christmas I replaced the cartridge with a high capacity cartridge and went through the alignment process at least 20 times.  Are you saying that I must purchase a color cartridge in order to align my nprinter so that I can use it in black ink only mode? 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 10 of 25 (19,691 Views)

secretsquirrel wrote:

I have not used my color cartridge since it ran out for the first time - probably four years ago.  Since then I have only used black ink in this printer and never had an alignment problem until Fall of last year.  Just before Christmas I replaced the cartridge with a high capacity cartridge and went through the alignment process at least 20 times.  Are you saying that I must purchase a color cartridge in order to align my printer so that I can use it in black ink only mode? 

The short answer is "Yes, you need working black and color for the alignment to be successful." One of the things the alignment process does is to set the black to color alignment, it also sets the operating energy for the color cartridge.  (The operating energy for the black cartridge is also set as part of the process, but is not printed on the page.) There are a couple possibilities if you have an empty or missing color cartridge:  if you have an old alignment page, or can get one from a friend you could use this.  The operating energy for the color cartridge will not be correct, but you should not care.  The black bidirectional alignment may not be correct, it may or may not be an issue.  If this is not an option and you have an empty color cartridge try soaking it nozzles down in very hot water for about 15 minutes.   Dry the cartridge contacts, then install in the printer and if you are lucky there will be enough color to be recognizable by the scanning.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation