Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Bob, I shudder to think how you know so much about this but am really greatfull for the insight.

FYI, I was able to remove the sealant exposing the wire "bond" between the flex circuitry and the die.

Inspection under stereo microscopy has initially failed to determine connectivity - the main problem being that to any relative motion (from cracks) requires a rigid holding of the cartridge which I'm working on.  (While I have that "monster" Fisher Scientific B&L boom, I don't have the holding fixturing up to snuff.)

Looked quickly at the patents and was hoping for figures of the wire bond and internals of the die.

Obviously, I cannot inspect anything inside the die.  The only thing I definitely have observed is that liquid has infiltrated the ribbon cable -while I can manipulate the ribbon and see that the liquid runs up and down a conductor, I cannot determine if there is actual liquid shorting between the conductors.

My first thought is that this is the problem causing cartridge error since I know there should not be any liquid within the flex circuitry.

A lot of people talk about soaking clogged cartridges in a shallow pool of water overnight without any damage to the cartridge.  I suspect this "benign soak" would not cause water to intiltrate the ribbon cable as it does when ultrasonically cleaned.  Further the ultrasonic effect could cause conductor channels to breakdown causing shorting - something I would never think a mere soaking could achieve.

So Bob, what is your theory? Liquid shorted flex conductors, wire bonds, or internal die damage?

Thanks so much,

Tom

HP Recommended

We have three HP5610 in our company. All three started displaying the same error message "refer to device documentation" all on the same day. Coincidence?

As policy we use original colour cartridges and oem black cartridges.

I got two of them fixed by replacing the black cartridges (which were between a day old and two weeks old) with original cartridges.

The last printer is still complaining and I have an Engineering manager screaming because he also uses this printer as a fax and can't use it.

Any suggestions anyone?

HP Recommended

On my HP officejet 5610v I received an error message "Printer Cartridge Error".  I replaced the cartridges with new ones and during the alignment process I received the error again.  I disconnected power to my printer and laptop to reset but printer still flashes the error message.  What do I do next?

T. Lane

{Removed for privacy}

HP Recommended

Hello,

I read the conversation on this thread and while it may be of help, I'd really appreciate being able to ask about my specific situation.

My 5610 is probably about 4 years old. It's been fairly reliable but lately, I feel like I'm having repeated problems and "Cartridge Errors". I keep buying cartridges, (both HP & Inkjet Store brand which I've stopped buying) it works for a little while (a few months) then it's back to the problem. I'm not printing a lot, but probably a few sheets every other day... mostly business stuff. It seems like the cartridges should last longer than they have.

On top of this, I can't get the computer (a Mac Quad Core on Lion, system 10.7.3) to recognize the printer despite reinstalling the driver numerous times. The only way I can scan is through the system preferences window. 

So all that said, I'm starting to feel like it's flogging a dead horse. Is that the case? Why all the cartridge problems? Any advice? Why won't HP make themselves available to help their customers? 

Thanks,

Keith 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for the post.  Regarding the cartridge error messages, this could be a couple of different issues.  I've included a link below that has some excellent information regarding cartridge error and how to resolve.  I suspect you may have some buildup on the mating surface of the contact strip and a good cleaning of that area will take care of it.  

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00428054

With the driver related issue, I might suggest removing that one and downloading again, the link is below here.  Good Luck!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=219&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=44112...

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

HP Recommended

Printer abruptly stops and throws an error of "Printer cartridge" go to printed documentation. Same as the guy that printed 26 pages then stopped.

HP Recommended

I had this happen earlier this year, then it went away now it is back to no seemingly to be fixed.  Tried the fixes by the system and here too. No luck.

Liked this unit a lot but when there is no support of fix and it is treated as disposable goods... I will be purchasing another brand.

If someone else has any ideas I'm game.   I'd LIKE this unit to work!

HP Recommended

Hi, if you've followed all the troubleshooting and suspect it is a cartridge problem then you can contact HP phone support. You can check the warranty ends date via the link below..

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00206040

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

ABOUT TO GO OFFICE SPACE ON THIS THING, NONE OF THE FORUMS HELP -- CAN YOU SAY "PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE; MADE IN CHINA"? GIVE ME A BREAK HP, WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem as the others, my printer receives light use and needed new ink cartridges .I bought new cartridges

put them in and the printer was working fine.Two to there weeks passed before I needed to use it again.I went to the article

I wanted to print put and the cartridge error message appeared. I went looking for help on the net and I found this site. I tried the suggestions I read here,removing and cleaning the old cartridges, that alon didn't work. If you remove the left

cartridge and try to print it should work if the right cartridge is ok.Removing the left cartridge the printer will not work.

I decided to buy yet another new right cartridge (black) replaced it and the the print is working fine! Even if you just bought

new cartridges you can get a bad one once in a while,spending another 20 to 40 bucks is better than having to buy a new

printer for a 100 plus.If I did it and then anyone can! GOOD LUCK

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.