Printer thinks it needs ink (284 Views)
Student
mbrother11
Message 1 of 2 (284 Views)

Printer thinks it needs ink

I have an HP Deskjet 5940.  Whenever I print something, I get a screen that shows ink levels, which I usually can just close and the document gets printed.  Now this screen says it is only an approximation of how much ink there is, and the pages that it printed earlier this evening in grayscale were sharp and clear...ink color nice and dark.   So I do not think I needed a new cartridge, I think the printer does a poor job of approximating the remaining ink.  But the machine refused to print, instead the "drop-shaped" light on my machine started furiously blinking, as did the power button and the "down-arrow" button.

Recently it did this same thing, and I just opened the machine cover and re-closed it, and it went ahead and printed my  document.  But tonite it just refused to printno matter what I tried, so I gave in and replaced the ink cartridge.

So here is my question...since the printer knows that it can only approximate the level of ink remaining in my cartridge, why would it refuse to print without giving me a way to "override" it to go ahead and print when I know the ink level is okay?  Or am I doomed to replace the hellaciously expensive cartridge every time the machine thinks I need to?

Teacher
kevin_techno
Message 2 of 2 (274 Views)

Re: Printer thinks it needs ink

It seems simple enough, but this is one of the most effective ways of fixing printer cartridge error. Mostly, printer cartridge error occurs when the printer head is unable to identify the cartridge properly. And the basic reason behind this is that the cartridge is improperly attached.

To reattach the cartridge check the following steps :

turn on the lid of the printer and then remove the cartridge from the printer head.

Check the cartridge to make sure that there are no scratches or other damaged parts that can contribute to a printer cartridge error report.

Take note that the cartridge should not be left open for more than 30 minutes; otherwise the ink will start to dry up and the cartridge will get clogged.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation