Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How can I override my computer's "decision" to NOT print when ink is low, but not empty?  When I try to print, a small dialogue box showing ink levels and stating "cancel print job" appears in the bottom right corner of my screen.  If I rapidly click the "X" in the upper right-hand corner of the dialogue box, it will sometimes print the document.  However, if I don't click the "X" in time it will print about a quarter inch of the image, stop printing, and eject the sheet of paper.  How can I get the printer to automatically print the document unless I click "cancel print job"?  Photosmart Premium C309a.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Please read this post then provide some details. What printer model? What operating system?  Printers with permanent printheads typically need some ink in all the colors and black to prevent the printhead from becoming permanently clogged.  In these printers it would be best to replace the empty cartridge rather than risk damage to the printer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

PhotoSmart Premium C309a.  Windows Vista operating system.  The colored indicator bars in the dialogue box show four full cartridges and one (currently, photo black) about 1/4 full.  

HP Recommended

The issue is not a low on ink condition if the lowest cartridge is showing 1/4 full.  How is the printer connected - USB, wired LAN, Wireless LAN, Bluetooth?  It sounds like there is a communications error with the printer.  Are there any error messages displayed on the printer screen or computer when the job stops printing?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

This is my first time posting; I am learning as I go.  I don't know what a tag is and how I post one.  Any words of advice would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

@Unonome wrote:

This is my first time posting; I am learning as I go.  I don't know what a tag is and how I post one.  Any words of advice would be appreciated.

A tag is a word or words you could add to help "index" posts you want to find later.  This could be for your own use or to help others find a given subject.  For example, I tag posts that have users reporting a particular USB-Parallel adapter worked for them in Windows 7.  When a user has a question about that I can just give then a link to the particular tag. I also use tags for my own use to highlight posts I want to be able to find again in the future.

You can add a tag to a post by clicking on the Add Tag button at the bottom of the post, then just type the words you want as a tag.

BTW, you do not need to tag your posts to find them later (unless you have lots of posts and want to find a particular topic).  You can log in and the click on your username (or any other user's name), this will give a link to all the posts you (or the other user) have made.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Please don't give up on me; I realize my replies are slow in coming.  This is my first time posting to the web (I guess that is what I am doing :), and I don't understand most of the terminology.  I also don't know how to maneuver through the page; indeed, it is by luck that I am finding your replies (I'm not sure what I should click).  I do know that my computer is wired to the printer.  I checked again to see the actual image, and the photoblack is less than 1/4; black is at half.  The printer makes a "ding-dong" sound when it decides to not print, but I haven't noticed any error messages. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information.  I am a web neophyte and don't speak webspeak.  I hate to waste your time, but what is BTW?  It seems to indicate "note well."  Also, how do I get back to my post to add the tag.  For that matter, how do I get back to the forum?

HP Recommended

Is there an "option" in setting printer parameters that allows me to override my computer's "decision" to NOT print when ink is low, but not empty?  PhotoSmart Premium C309a; windows Vista; USB wired. 

HP Recommended

BTW means "by the way". 

You can find your posts by logging in to the forum and then clicking on your username.

You can find the forum by going to http://www.hp.com then clicking on "Connect with Others" then click "HP Consumer Support Forum".  Once you log in click on your username and your posts will be listed.

hp forum.png

posts.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.