Question

Honor Student
madenton
Message 1 of 30 (21,277 Views)

Printing Half-Fold Greeting Card Envelopes - Paper Sizes

I want to print a greeting card envelope created using a VERY common Avery template (3260, which is 5 1/2" x 8 1/2").  However, in HP's long list of US standard and ISO paper sizes, there is not one listed specifically for this size. Which of these paper sizes do I choose to print a standard greeting card envelope? The A5, B5 and DL do not work.  Many thanks for your assistance.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 30 (21,268 Views)

Re: Printing Half-Fold Greeting Card Envelopes - Paper Sizes

In the HP drivers 5.5" x 8.5" is called "Statement" size.  Depending on your (unspecidied) printer model and operating system you may also be able to define a custom size, either from the printer driver or (in Vista) by going to the Printers folder, right-click on a blank spot, Run as Administrator, Server Properties, and then define a new form size.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
madenton
Message 3 of 30 (21,246 Views)

Thank you, Bob, for your response. Your familiarity with US standard and ISO paper sizes pointed me in the right direction. Although I have the most recent HP driver for my Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One printer (made in 2009), the driver surprisingly does not include "Statement" or "Half Sheet" as a supported paper size, and I was forced to create it as a custom size in my Mac.

In researching this problem in this forum and in several others, I found an astonishingly large number of people over the years for whom this has been a real problem and who feel justifiably angry and frustrated at Hewlett Packard's decision not to include this common US paper size in its driver.  Hewlett Packard could so easily mitigate the loss in future sales opportunities and its bad will by simply releasing a patch to its driver to include this common paper size.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 30 (21,235 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry you are angry and/or frustrated.  I still do not know what printer model you have so I cannot tell much more about your specific printer.  The Officejet 7410 Vista driver I have has dozens of paper sizes [I just counted, there are 59 choices] including Statement and Custom sizes so that any desired sizes within the printer's capabilities can be selected.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Message Edited by Bob_Headrick on 06-15-2009 02:05 PM

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
madenton
Message 5 of 30 (21,224 Views)

Oh, I'm not angry, just matter-of-fact. After all, I went ahead and created the template.  My printer, as I mentioned previously, is the Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-one (that is the name of the model).  It's driver for the Mac lists 50 choices and does not include Statement. Given the disparity between your driver and mine, perhaps one can conclude that Hewlett Packard does not fully support Mac users.
Honor Student
Minky16
Message 6 of 30 (19,731 Views)

Bob,  I too have difficulty printing greeting card envelopes.  I called HP and was told none of their printers could print these.  I have 6 HP printers and have not been successful in performing this.  I send approx. 600 cards each year.  I am still researching.....if you find a solution, please let me know.

Thanks.

Minky13

Student
laurit13
Message 7 of 30 (19,363 Views)

I was looking for a solution to the same problem.  The best solution I came up with is to select the option for 5X7 post cards.

When I did this it centered the text and graphics horizontally alright, but vertically it was placed to low.  So you need to adjust accordingly.  Hope this helps.  Maybe they will come up with a software fix

Student
kkdren
Message 8 of 30 (18,716 Views)

I have the same problem too, hope anybody can give  a solution to solve this envelopes paper sizes. Please leave a reply here, thanks!

Honor Student
lindadean40
Message 9 of 30 (18,224 Views)

Oh wow the advice posted above:

"Go to the Printers folder, right-click on a blank spot, Run as Administrator, Server Properties, and then define a new form size."

actually worked!

I went to the control panel, click on printers and then right clicked in blank spot, chose "run as admistrator", clicked on "server properties". Click on the box create new size. I put 8.5 in width and 5.75 in height. I then put in .1 margins. I saved it as envelope hlaf size And clicked apply.

Of note on this screen if you want to see all the other paper options you have to use the down arrow, you can't just click on the botton and try to drag it down, doesn't work.

I have an HP Photosmart C6280 all in one.

I was then able to print half fold envelopes from Word that I had done as a mail merge. However; I agree with teh above post, it would be sooo much easier if HP would just add this envelope size!! I have had issue with this since I bought this printer two years ago and just finally found the solution on the internet last night.

Honor Student
shpnnanner
Message 10 of 30 (17,880 Views)

Bob:

Can you suggest how I might create a new print size for my HP 7960 so I can print the 6 x 9 (or statement size envelope).

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation