Question

Top Student
hpway2
Message 1 of 10 (11,235 Views)

Printing card stock

I'm looking for an HP inkjet printer that will print 10 pt. card stock.

I would gladly switch from the Epsons I'm currently using if HP made one.  My problem with HP inkjets is that most of them pick up paper from below & deliver the printed page also below.  The turn makes it impossible to get a good print on card stock.

I'm printing 8-1/2 by 5-1/2 inch cards & need a set of good, reliable inkjets that can handle these.  Can you help?  Is there an HP inkjet that meets my needs?

I love my HP laserjets, HP laptops & HP desktops.  Don't let me down now, HP!

Thanks!

C. C.

Top Student
Fannydog
Message 2 of 10 (11,225 Views)

Re: Printing card stock

10 pt card stock is about 219gsm according to this web site.

Most black&white or color LaserJets can handle this weight although it is at the upper limit.

When you print on this weight paper the printer will usually run about 1/2 normal speed. Also some LaserJets slow down when you print narrow paper (such as 5-1/2" wide).

You need to select the proper size and type in the driver Properties.

Do you need to do a high volume on this paper type and size?

I work for HP.
Honor Student
DougB44
Message 3 of 10 (11,221 Views)

What are you subject matter are you printing on cardstock?  Knowing that info may help in deciding which printer is the best fit for you.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP. The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.
Top Student
hpway2
Message 4 of 10 (11,208 Views)

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I do high volume -- up to about 250,000 8-1/2 by 5-1/2 sheets per year.  They are postcards, so they must be of this weight to qualify for mailings under USPS requirements.

Is there an HP inkjet that would do the job?  Right now I've got 8 Epson inkjets running at a time, but those printers are old & need replacing.  Speed is not so much the issue as consistent feeding of a card stock through an inkjet.

Thanks for your help.

C.C.

Top Student
hpway2
Message 5 of 10 (11,207 Views)

Thanks again for responding.  I print only text (an address, return address & short note) on the back of card stock that has a photo printed on the flip side.

I need an inkjet that will consistently pull card stock through it.

Any HP inkjet that can do this?

Thanks,

C. C.

Top Student
Fannydog
Message 6 of 10 (11,182 Views)

I don't know personally, so I'm checking with some other people.

Can you tell me the model of Epson printer that you are using currently and the exact name/type of the paper you are using?

Do you print the photo with the inkjet printer?

I work for HP.
Top Student
hpway2
Message 7 of 10 (11,168 Views)

Thanks for your continued interest in my issue.

I am a small business owner.  I own a series of Epson C86 inkjets which have a top loader set-up that allows me to load about 40 cards at a time for printing.  The Epson C86 is no longer being made -- hasn't been produced by Epson for at least 3-4 years.  The were replaced by Epson with much less-capable inkjet printers that cannot feed card stock as well. The C86's were originally about $70 and I can run 200 or so per hour.  But time is not the issue.  Pulling the card stock through consistently is.  The C86's are still available to some degree (on Ebay, for example) & I've been continuing to purchase them. But it's time to move on...and I'm hoping for an HP inkjet that will satisfy my needs because HP has been so reliable for me in so many other ways.  I'm a big fan of HP -- own laptops, desktops, laser printers, etc. 

I run 1/2 sheets (8-1/2 inch by 5-1/2 inch cards) of 10 point Carolina 1-side coated stock.  I contract with a print shop print a picture on the coated side.  I print text on the back side.  I need an inkjet model that will consistently pull this relatively lightweight card stock through, without jamming and without skewing.

I know I'm not alone in the world.  There are many of us small business people who require an inkjet that can print card stock.  If you have a solution, an inkjet that will do the job, I know that you'll be opening up a wide market and will be swamped with orders.

Let me know if you turn up an HP inkjet that can work for me.  I'll be sure to give it a try!

Thanks again,

C.C.

Top Student
Fannydog
Message 8 of 10 (11,112 Views)

The advice I have gotten is that the "HP PhotoSmart Plus All-in-One Printer" should handle index stock well.

Of course, you might want to try it out at a store or buy just one first and try it out -- that's really the best way to find out.

Good luck.

I work for HP.
Top Student
hpway2
Message 9 of 10 (11,108 Views)

Thanks very much.  I may give it a try.  The problem is I really don't need any "extras" -- the All-In-Ones take up a lot of room & all I really need is a good printer.

But thanks so much for checking it out for me.  I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

C. C.

Student
revdrlove
Message 10 of 10 (55 Views)

I've owned 3 HP Officejet printers 8600 plus, 8610, 8620, 8630 to be totally disappointed that they won't print HP Photo or Card Stock. Any other HP all in one with OCR printers work?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation